TV Home Forum

Big Brother UK

Ratings crash & future indoubt (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Finally watched the finale on catch up - let's just say the 'final' ending on Channel 4 was much more extravagant, Channel 5's finale just looked like a wounded animal in comparison.
KE
kernow
dbl posted:
Finally watched the finale on catch up - let's just say the 'final' ending on Channel 4 was much more extravagant, Channel 5's finale just looked like a wounded animal in comparison.

Channel 4 made much more of an event of Big Brother ending, with a night of special programming on the final night (including Dermot's Last Supper and Davina's Big Send Off), together with various special programmes in the months leading up to the finale (including The Big Quiz, the Big Awards Show, a Come Dine with Me Special, and a couple of documentaries).

Apart from Big Brother's Bit on the Side, Channel 5 didn't really do much at all to mark the end of Big Brother.
JC
JCB
How many big finales can one show have though?
LL
Larry the Loafer
Not to mention with a fraction of the audience who watched the last finale.
Mouseboy33, Closedown and dbl gave kudos
PE
permotio
dvboy posted:
JAS84 posted:
e lines for the eliminated contestants are closed but the others stay open. So the person in second when they announce who's third could still win if it's close.

but in theory, if it's close, the person in third could also still win until they are eliminated, but it seems they are eliminated well before lines close for that contestant so during the delay if you ring in for that person it's a wasted vote.

The lines were frozen before the show started recording at about 9:45. Fourth and third place were taken from this. The lines then reopened for the winner but obviously you could only choose between the two remaining housemates. Because of the delay the only way they could do this reopening was by having the fourth and third housemates come out together (which is always a bit rubbish) and then have a whole part that was just filler of Emma chatting to the ex-housemates.

The phone lines closing before the show began was explained in the Ts and Cs in the run up to the final so no votes were wasted and no one was misled.

I worked on this series and we all felt royally screwed over by C5. The planning permission for the house means that all live shows had to be over by 11, hence why all the eviction shows and the final were on delay as they all started at 10. I appreciate the show doesn't fit the channel's brand any more but to give a significant show just 75 mins for its last ever episode, tucked away at 10pm on a Monday night was pretty shameful.

Thanks for the insight. If you're allowed to say, I'd love to know what hapened to stop live feed from returning this series?

I saw a Big Brother fansite was told live feed was to return, but cancelled at the last night.
GO
gottago
dvboy posted:

but in theory, if it's close, the person in third could also still win until they are eliminated, but it seems they are eliminated well before lines close for that contestant so during the delay if you ring in for that person it's a wasted vote.

The lines were frozen before the show started recording at about 9:45. Fourth and third place were taken from this. The lines then reopened for the winner but obviously you could only choose between the two remaining housemates. Because of the delay the only way they could do this reopening was by having the fourth and third housemates come out together (which is always a bit rubbish) and then have a whole part that was just filler of Emma chatting to the ex-housemates.

The phone lines closing before the show began was explained in the Ts and Cs in the run up to the final so no votes were wasted and no one was misled.

I worked on this series and we all felt royally screwed over by C5. The planning permission for the house means that all live shows had to be over by 11, hence why all the eviction shows and the final were on delay as they all started at 10. I appreciate the show doesn't fit the channel's brand any more but to give a significant show just 75 mins for its last ever episode, tucked away at 10pm on a Monday night was pretty shameful.

Thanks for the insight. If you're allowed to say, I'd love to know what hapened to stop live feed from returning this series?

I saw a Big Brother fansite was told live feed was to return, but cancelled at the last night.

All I know about the live feed was that it was going to be a live YouTube stream. I expect it was canned for budget reasons as they’d have to have a small team working on it.
MR
mr_vivian
dvboy posted:
JAS84 posted:
e lines for the eliminated contestants are closed but the others stay open. So the person in second when they announce who's third could still win if it's close.

Totally agree, 10pm on a Monday Night was utterly shameful and I never thought Channel 5 ever treated the show well actually. They ran the Celebrity version into the ground by hosting 2 per year!

Ben Frow made it very clear just last year he preferred Big Brother to be off the channel so we all knew it was coming we just didn't know when.

I don't think this will be the end of the show though I think it'll be back in a few years but it is in desperate need of a rest now.

Emma Willis said on BOTS that she thinks if it came back it may not have a host or a spin off show and I think that's a good idea. All it really needs is a narrator. Big deal if someone gets evicted - if you vote them out you want them off your TV screen ASAP.
CB
ChipperBird
For C5 it made sense when the channel was more of a trashy Heat and Daily Star peddling kind of operation under old owners.

To be honest BB never quite recaptured the magic of the initial 4-5 seasons for me. Mind I loved season 4 which everyone else hated. I much preferred seeing a group of people with at least some chance of getting along cope - rather than the later versions where it basically became more about putting in people likely to completely detest each other, and were so narcissistic and lazy that they generally were not interesting unless production team shoved alcohol in their faces.

BB was at it's best when it had inventive tasks, things for the HM's to actually be responsible for other than slobbing about all day and people who seemed at least halfway normal. I stopped watching the C5 series after the event with one Celeb season where they admitted a guy with obvious substance issues that then touched someone else in the bathroom.
TA
Tao
possibly going to get flame for this, but, I wish they'd try the US format (to the letter) and turn it into a game show. Far more engaging and entertaining. It's not surprising BB US audiences have been consistent throughout the years.

15 days later

JA
JAS84
The house is getting demolished.
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/big-brother/news/a871243/big-brother-house-demolished-show-ends-18-years/
BR
Brekkie
Hate Digital Spy. Create an "article" (well, sentence) around a pic showing the house being torn down then include a pic of the house completely intact.

The Daily Mail has further pics and although the live set has been removed the part of the house they refer to as in a "skeletal state" isn't even part of the house. It's a set built behind the house.
DE
DE88
"After 18 years at Elstree Studios"

Ah, how easily one forgets the original house in Bow... Rolling Eyes
Hatton Cross and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts