« Topics
kernow1,472 posts since 18 Jan 2006
Crossroads took up a good two studios in the complex I believe, and had it been allowed to grow and develop could have kept a facility open in the Midlands. Indeed, who knows? Nottingham could have become a major "meedja" city instead of Salford.

If Crossroads had continued, Lenton Lane would have been kept open for longer, but I expect it would have closed or downsized at some point, as I don't think Crossroads on its own would have been enough to sustain the whole facility.

I expect it would have eventually ended up either closing completely and relocating to a new location (like Coronation Street), or downsizing to a section of the facility, with the rest being sold off.
gerryuk41 posts since 10 Feb 2005
[quote="kernow" pid="1139218"]

If Crossroads had continued, Lenton Lane would have been kept open for longer, but I expect it would have closed or downsized at some point, as I don't think Crossroads on its own would have been enough to sustain the whole facility.

YTV studios in Leeds is much bigger than Lenton Lane and Emmerdale sustains the whole facility.
Spencer (previously Spencer For Hire) 6,112 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

YTV studios in Leeds is much bigger than Lenton Lane and Emmerdale sustains the whole facility.

In terms of network production though, Emmerdale is all there is there now, and the studios have downsized so there's no room for anything else.
IndigoTucker530 posts since 4 Jan 2003
From what I recall, Crossroads took over the entire Lenton Lane site, apart from the one production studio (used for Barbara, Doctors and Nurses) and news, they even had to build more studios in the technical areas to fit in the soap.
DE88682 posts since 8 Jan 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, Family Fortunes and Catchphrase hadn't ceased production yet when Crossroads Mk II began. Wink
Now officially retired from TV Forum. "When the fun stops, stop."
Neil Jones6,174 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
there's a theory that the controversial second, Yvon Grace-led reboot of Crossroads was done deliberately with the sole intention of killing off the show, and taking the whole of Lenton Lane with it. ... [It was] then re-rebooted in the most ridiculous, garish way possible with the PR very deliberately engineered to alienate the existing audience. It was then very quickly junked by the network - after less than 2 months on-air I believe.

Five months.

The Geoff Tibballs book released after the beginning of Crossroads 2001 suggested that the production was the last chance for Lenton Lane and that if it failed, the studios would go. It was the biggest production at the site at the time amongst everything else going on. The show's exterior and hotel entrance was built over a fire exit on the outside of the building, quite a large chunk of this look save for the canopy entrance itself remains pretty much in place today even though the building has changed ownership.

Of course whether Crossroads had survived after 2003 doesn't necessarily mean Lenton Lane would have survived; it could have been somebody somewhere decided this place costs a fortune to run let's move Crossroads production to somewhere else and get rid of Lenton Lane. Its still entirely plausible it wouldn't have survived as it was and I would have thought had all the other chaos theory played out in the same way as it did, Lenton Lane would most probably have been downsized at some point anyway.
DE88 gave kudos
deejay2,974 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Central (South) Oxford
I haven't seen this before, but this shows that a good deal of the physical infrastructure of some of the studios in Nottingham still survive, almost untouched, from when ITV moved out. Gallery Tech kit has been stripped out, but the lights still hang above Studio 7 ... skip to 22'00 in
Two minutes regions...
DE88 gave kudos
kernow1,472 posts since 18 Jan 2006
It is a crying shame that there is now a huge hole in the Midlands. But I think the plans to close Nottingham had been on the cards for a while - there's a theory that the controversial second, Yvon Grace-led reboot of Crossroads was done deliberately with the sole intention of killing off the show, and taking the whole of Lenton Lane with it. The first reboot was starting to show real promise and at that precise point it was pulled off-air, rested for 4 months, and then re-rebooted in the most ridiculous, garish way possible with the PR very deliberately engineered to alienate the existing audience. It was then very quickly junked by the network - after less than 2 months on-air I believe.

Crossroads took up a good two studios in the complex I believe, and had it been allowed to grow and develop could have kept a facility open in the Midlands. Indeed, who knows? Nottingham could have become a major "meedja" city instead of Salford.

I agree that the Yvon Grace reboot was a complete disaster for the show and should never have happened, but if ITV had really wanted to kill off Crossroads, surely they would have just axed it, rather than wasting money on a rebrand which they knew wouldn't last long.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original set for the 2001 version cost over £1 million to create, so it seems crazy that they would deliberately waste time and money on a new set if they were intending to axe the show after a few months.
DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
For me, even if Crossroads had survived there's no reason why it would have had to continue to come from the Midlands. Coronation Street and Emmerdale are associated for viewers across the UK with those particular parts of the world - Mancunian humour/culture and Emmerdale couldn't be more Yorkshire if the old ident bounced around the dales as the show was broadcast.

Countdown shifted from Leeds to Salford because there was no particular reason why it had to stay in Yorkshire, and there's no reason why Crossroads couldn't have just come from somewhere else. It's not really geographically dependent.

In terms of the midlands losing out to Salford, for me that's an unfortunate matter of geography. Broadcasters have (correctly) been under pressure to move at least some of their output away from London given all the (understandable) centralisation that's happened in recent years. Broadcasting from Salford in the north of England looks slightly better in terms of distance from London than Birmingham to much of the UK. I'd suggest it's also a major reason why Leeds beat Birmingham for the Channel 4 HQ.
When Nottingham University bought the campus in 2004 they kept one of the studios, the old Studio 7 which was the home of most of the later series of Central's gameshows like Bullseye, Family Fortunes, the Sweep and some other productions. The university I believe still rents it out on occasion. Most of the King's Meadow campus (the old ITV studios) is used as an archive storage facility according to the website.

The 'commission this and then dump it' can probably be applied more to the other production that was commissioned alongside Crossroads - the ill-fated Night & Day which seems to be a case of Granada completed production on most of it long before it ever hit the screen in the first place.
DE88 gave kudos
james-20016,028 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
The 'commission this and then dump it' can probably be applied more to the other production that was commissioned alongside Crossroads - the ill-fated Night & Day which seems to be a case of Granada completed production on most of it long before it ever hit the screen in the first place.

I don't think the final episode was broadcast until well over a year after it had actually been made!
DE88 gave kudos

I don't think the final episode was broadcast until well over a year after it had actually been made!

Indeed and you had that strange presentation effect where it had been made and completed during the ITV Hearts credit era so all the credits for it were in that style and when the network rebranded again in October 2002 the credits weren't changed for the new look so you still had the ITV hearts floating around on the network six months later.
DE88 gave kudos