TV Home Forum

Tomorrow's World

The iconic show returns for a one-off 90 minute special on BBC Four (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
DE88

So the swimming baby was accompanied by three tunes over seven years...
:-(
A former member
That baby got paid well!
DV
DVB Cornwall
I can't imagine how much a full 1960's 1970's style series would cost to put together now. Horrendous with the multi report, international makeup of the programmes.
RI
Richard
I did like the Divine Comedy version but wasn’t a fan of the Vorderman version partly because the show format had changed. It was no longer an exciting live show, it just seemed to me (as a teenager) to be like the news. Didn’t like the Dankworth, partly because it was before my time.

Later on in the Peter Snow and Adam Hart-Davies eras I thought the show came into its own once more. Hopefully that is the era they’d choose to emulate if it came back properly.
RI
Richard
I can't imagine how much a full 1960's 1970's style series would cost to put together now. Horrendous with the multi report, international makeup of the programmes.

I think it would cost less in real terms. In the past they had to lug big film cameras around. Now recording equipment is much cheaper and much more portable.

If it was the sort of thing that could be partly funded by the BBC’s International channels and the Open University, that could make it more viable.
LO
lobster
I was a fan of the 1987 theme and titles, i remember loving and watching the show as a kid in the 1980s and early 90s, but stopped watching it after that.

I don't think Tomorrow's World would work today though as a TV show - it's almost redundant with all the stuff on youtube news about new technology is just more accessible - and watching an old episode just now the presentation of the show is way too plodding - you could probably cram the entire episode into a 10 minute clip if you got rid of all the fannying about.
VM
VMPhil
I think it could work on BBC Four. I don't think it would have a huge budget or anything, but I don't think it would have to.

Why would you want it on BBC Four though? It was a programme designed to introduce new science and technological breakthroughs to a mainstream BBC One audience. That kind of format wouldn't make sense on BBC Four, so it would have to be more niche, but then there's already Click for that.

If it was brought back for sensible reasons rather than just nostalgia, and put on BBC One, I'd be interested. But I'm not sure the format would work nowadays. It only just managed to hang on after multiple revamps in the '90s and early '00s.
NG
noggin Founding member
You're all wrong. This is the best theme :

End. Of.
RI
Richard
I think it could work on BBC Four. I don't think it would have a huge budget or anything, but I don't think it would have to.

Why would you want it on BBC Four though? It was a programme designed to introduce new science and technological breakthroughs to a mainstream BBC One audience. That kind of format wouldn't make sense on BBC Four, so it would have to be more niche, but then there's already Click for that.

If it was brought back for sensible reasons rather than just nostalgia, and put on BBC One, I'd be interested. But I'm not sure the format would work nowadays. It only just managed to hang on after multiple revamps in the '90s and early '00s.

I’d want it on BBC One, but I don’t think the BBC would put it there.
VM
VMPhil
You're all wrong. This is the best theme : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65rGDP2Eyt8

End. Of.

Better in stereo though.

While I'm here…

SP
Steve in Pudsey
We could do with a repeat of Look Around You to go with it. Although the spoof BBC 2 continuity might not work on Four.
thegeek and Lou Scannon gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Why not? That trailer for St Frankenstein's Day is a relevent as it's always been!

Newer posts