TV Home Forum

Tomorrow's World

The iconic show returns for a one-off 90 minute special on BBC Four (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
The iconic show returns for a one-off 90 minute special on BBC Four on 22nd November.

I don't know if this a particular anniversary, but it might be an opportunity to bring the show back. In the BBC article, Howard Stableford (who will present, along with Maggie Philbin) talks about bringing the show "to a whole new generation".

I think it could work on BBC Four. I don't think it would have a huge budget or anything, but I don't think it would have to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46083366
Last edited by Richard on 3 November 2018 3:47pm
DA
davidhorman
I can't help thinking it'll just look like an up-market version of Click these days.
RI
Richard
I can't help thinking it'll just look like an up-market version of Click these days.

It certainly does need to be more than that. When TW covered computers and the internet in the past it was genuine innovation but now, the majority of the population has access to the internet on their phone and it’s nit so niche.

The 90-minute special will be, no doubt, largely nostalgic, but any new series would need to focus on innovations in medicine and other aspects of science.
:-(
A former member
There need to bring back this theme: https://youtu.be/9uED254fWjU?t=12
fanoftv, Stuart and Richard gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Oh no. That theme was rather bleh and generic, though the titles were admittedly good. The most memorable, and best theme, was course this one:

A former member
Depends on your age. This is the most memorable for me (and I had this wonderful BBC space themes album!)

Closedown, Night Thoughts and DE88 gave kudos
DE
DE88
I flippin' love the Divine Comedy... but I've always thought that their TW theme felt somewhat out of place. Embarassed

It's not the worst TW theme, though - that dishonour must surely go to the one used during Carol Vorderman's (brief) time:

Of course, Howard and Maggie presented the show during the period that Paul Hart's trumpet fanfare (posted by RDJ) was in use.
A former member
The Last theme was crap:
ET
ethanh05

Crap is an interesting theme.
RD
RDJ
That wasn't the last theme. This was the last theme, when the show was given a last ditch attempt to fix flagging ratings and return the show to being live. I think you can say it sounds strangely familiar.

Stuart, Lou Scannon and DE88 gave kudos
A former member
At least it went out on decent theme Very Happy
VM
VMPhil
Spencer Kelly, host of Click, has previously said it was always his ambition to be a presenter on Tomorrow’s World, but on the day he joined the BBC they cancelled it!

For what it’s worth I think the 1991 theme is the best one. Anything that has lots of drums gets my vote.

Newer posts