« Topics
JKDerry1,798 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Only STV in Scotland are left as truly independent franchise, but I wonder how long will they be able to stick it out before they too be swamped into the ITV network brand? STV are fierce independents, enjoying being part of the network but not whole of it. UTV lost their independence due to the dreadful UTV Ireland fiasco. I know ITV are keen to get STV, that would be the whole network under one control, something they have wanted since 1993.
mr_vivian1,051 posts since 11 Oct 2015
UTV Newsline
I hope the UTV brand goes - I'm sick to the back teeth of watching the same few idents over and over again. I'd watch network itv hd if I was able to unless it was for the news.

They haven't made any effort to put the UTV logo on all of itv's idents which makes me wonder if it's laziness or if there's a plan to scrap the brand.
Lou Scannon gave kudos
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
STV's programming has become more in line with ITV since their disagreement was settled and they became an affiliate. Nowadays they'll basically take the ITV line-up including England games (because they've paid for it anyway) and slot in their news and local shows like most other regions. The only real point of difference is Scotland Tonight, a nightly half hour news show, and you suspect the current bosses wouldn't set that up now if it didn't already exist.

The current management's gameplan appears to consist of producing more programming which could be sold within the UK and to other markets rather than focusing on particularly local content. It could actually prove to be an attractive little production house for ITV alongside the broadcast business should they make a move. It's certainly more sustainable than throwing everything they had at news programming and a digital channel which would have been thrown in the bin the second ITV took over.
Lou Scannon and scottishtv gave kudos
mr_vivian1,051 posts since 11 Oct 2015
UTV Newsline
STV is a small fish in a big pond and eventually it'll need to sell to itv also. If you have to abide by itv's conditions you're not really independent anyway you're just buying time against the inevitable.
kernow1,307 posts since 18 Jan 2006
STV is a small fish in a big pond and eventually it'll need to sell to itv also. If you have to abide by itv's conditions you're not really independent anyway you're just buying time against the inevitable.

There's no reason why STV can't sell to any company who wants to buy them.

I don't believe that ITV is the only company who are allowed to buy them.

You could end up with a situation where another company buys STV, and then buys ITV.
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
I'm not sure STV is that attractive a proposition in the grand scheme of things. Unless you're another Scottish media organisation, the scale of Scotland isn't that attractive. And what media buyer in Scotland could do it? We're a long way from when Scottish Radio Holdings ran all the Scottish stations, Bauer's now in charge of Clyde and co.

Strategically, it only really makes sense to ITV or, if they grew the production side of things, another production house. Who would presumably buy STV and sell the broadcast part to ITV.
Lou Scannon gave kudos