The Newsroom

Bombs sent to CNN NYC Studio, Clintons, Obama's & others

CNN was evacuated live on air. CNN Centre ATL in full control (October 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen

Also, I’d undoubtedly venture that during any building fire alarm people would normally grab their personal items and photographers gathering cameras and a CNG. The video clip sounded like this is a fire alarm and evacuate the building. Nothing like a bomb threat or a special code word for people to get out ASAP. I’m sure if it was the latter the anchors would have left the desks as soon as they heard it. If it was the former I’m sure people would gather their usual gear.

In the UK you'd never normally specify the reason for evacuating a building - so as not to cause a panic.

The only variation is if you have an 'invacuation' rather than an 'evacuation'. An invacuation is where leaving the building could be hazardous (say a suspect car or van is parked outside) At that point many buildings will have areas defined as 'Internal Shelter Areas' or 'Internal Safe Areas' that are far enough away from windows etc. to be deemed safe places to congregate.

This is why many buildings now use a tannoy system to announce evacuations or invacuations- rather than just basic 'get out' sirens or bells.

Here a lot of buildings have code systems written on the back of your ID.
IS
Inspector Sands
Some emergency code words are fairly well known.... I can't think of any off the top of my head though Wink Laughing
MA
Markymark
Some emergency code words are fairly well known.... I can't think of any off the top of my head though Wink Laughing

I've heard mention on the PA systems at both Paddington Station, and in my local John Lewis of a 'Mr Grumble' Cool
HC
Hatton Cross
There was a fairly well attended sports event a couple of years ago, where, in all the pre-event documentation, the public address tannoy 'code' for the preparation of an evacuation to inform all the helpers/marshalls was 'would the duty carpenter, please go to the police control room'.

Quickly, 'police control room' was changed to 'event organisers office' in the final documentation..
MO
Mouseboy33
apparently a bomb was intercepted before its reach CNN Center in Atlanta this morning.
NG
noggin Founding member

Inspector Sands is a widespread code name used on the tube and mainline rail services... If you hear that name on the tannoy there is a strong chance you will be tipped out of a station.
HC
Hatton Cross
Indeed..

Newer posts