TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Watching Dad's Army on Gold+1. The bit rate looked to be pretty much non existent, however I suspect the effect is exacerbated to a degree because its the usual "film on location, VT in the studio" sort of arrangement they did for 1970s TV shows and presumably whatever compresses the output for transmission is overcompensating for the film inserts?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Watching Dad's Army on Gold+1. The bit rate looked to be pretty much non existent, however I suspect the effect is exacerbated to a degree because its the usual "film on location, VT in the studio" sort of arrangement they did for 1970s TV shows and presumably whatever compresses the output for transmission is overcompensating for the film inserts?

From when I've watched Gold+1, it has the same glazed look you see on UKTV's Freeview channels as it's probably at 544x576 with a low bitrate. Ironically the SD picture on Gold and other paywall UKTV channels through Sky and Virgin is fine.

9 days later

TE
tesandco Founding member
Just going back over the Summer Weekend intro from yesterday on Drama, and spotted this. It looks like the same continuity announcement as the previous weekend was used again, which is normally something you could get away with...

DB
dbl
It's a generic, that's why. Probably would have been best to have a few versions recorded.
ST
steveboswell
I think tesandco's point is that isn't George Shaw, it's Lee Ingleby. They've paired the introduction with the wrong ident.
Stuart, Richard and dbl gave kudos
DB
dbl
I think tesandco's point is that isn't George Shaw, it's Lee Ingleby. They've paired the introduction with the wrong ident.

Gotcha, quite the contrast between the two - definitely human error.
:-(
A former member
I wish all the other idents from this series would get played out again.
OF
OF992
The 2001 UK Gold logo looks so generic. Glad it was replaced in 2004.
HA
harshy Founding member

From when I've watched Gold+1, it has the same glazed look you see on UKTV's Freeview channels as it's probably at 544x576 with a low bitrate. Ironically the SD picture on Gold and other paywall UKTV channels through Sky and Virgin is fine.

It’s 720x576 on SD Sky also I think the Irish version is 704x576
:-(
A former member
On really it currently has a Blue night light Break bumper

84 days later

TE
tesandco Founding member
Seems Really are running special presentation at the moment to mark '13 Nights of Frights', with idents and promos to match, just to add to the growing list of channels to have Halloween pres this year.

More: https://www.tvwhirl.co.uk/presentation/uktv/really/#vid_24199

DB
dbl
Yup, from 9pm to 2am, it's a Halloween takeover.

There's a total of 2 Halloween idents (they alternate in every junction) and 13 bumpers across the schedule, IPPs change to the #13NightsOfFrights branding after 9pm.

Really wanted to go big this year.

Newer posts