« Topics
Markymark5,821 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
Gary Lineker very sombre at the start of Match of the Day, with the Glenn Hoddle news and the helicopter crash. The match commentator provided an update after the highlights, on a very clear connection presumably used for the earlier commentary.

No, very unlikely as the host OB truck and crew (under normal circumstances) leave site at about 22:00hrs. By the time MOTD is on the OB vehicles and crew are on the road. Possibly a 4G connection from a phone etc, or at Radio Leicester’s studios ?
bilky asko gave kudos
bilky asko5,138 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Gary Lineker very sombre at the start of Match of the Day, with the Glenn Hoddle news and the helicopter crash. The match commentator provided an update after the highlights, on a very clear connection presumably used for the earlier commentary.

No, very unlikely as the host OB truck and crew (under normal circumstances) leave site at about 22:00hrs. By the time MOTD is on the OB vehicles and crew are on the road. Possibly a 4G connection from a phone etc, or at Radio Leicester’s studios ?

Whatever it was, it was exceptionally clear.
thegeek4,553 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Betfred Cup coverage has just started with Darell Currie reading a statement from Glenn's family confirming that he suffered a heart attack, but is responding well to treatment in hospital.

[edit] here's the statement:

This is a tweet from a sound engineer, one of the people in the studio who helped resuscitate him:

I'm not going to say any more about what happened on the studio floor (and I think others should respect Glenn's family's wishes to respect his privacy) but I am going to take the opportunity to say that if you don't know CPR, learn how to do CPR. Ask your employer to go on a First Aid course, and if you're in a big enough workplace, get them to buy a defibrillator.
Last edited by thegeek on 28 October 2018 1:17pm
Ne1L C505 posts since 11 Sep 2011
There are moments in sport when what happens on the pitch pale into insignificance. When that happens its reassuring that the mood is one of sensitivity and respect. Both Glenn Hoddle's illness and the truly tragic events in Leicester have thankfully shown that football is capable of forgetting tribal behaviour and coming together. Get well soon Glenn and may those who have died in Leicester rest in eternal peace.
Jeffmister, bkman1990 and harshy gave kudos
JamesM0984380 posts since 21 Jun 2018
Central (East) East Midlands Today

I drove by it earlier, it looked like there are still trucks in the car park. That said I wasn't able to slow down to look so don't quote me.

The Leicester Tigers rugby union ground is literally 100m up the road if that - games are planned to avoid Foxes and Tigers playing on the same day as the same car parks etc. are used for both sports. It's not impossible that their media centre was opened up, as Tigers were away yesterday.
thegeek4,553 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Amidst their tribulations BT Sport are transmitting their first 4K Ligue 1 match tonight AS Monaco - Paris SG. Sadly the images aren't as clear as they could be.

It was the world feed straight to air. Assuming there were no major disasters with this evening's game, it should be accompanied with a bit of build-up and BT's own commentary next time.