TV Home Forum

BT Sport - Launch of BT Sport Ultimate

Dolby Atmos to be introduced 28-Nov-2020 (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Will be quite tricky to get the tone right on MOTD tonight too, and of course quite a personal connection for Lineker too.

Sky News Sportsline getting it quite wrong already by even bringing up tonight how it might impact on the future of the football club.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Jon posted:
I’m pretty sure football fans die everyday.

Not usually while watching a match.

Seems BT Sport showed it taking off from the pitch, went to a break and when they came back reported that it had crashed.

That's right, Jake was visibly very shaken coming back from the break but the whole team handled it really well. As well as it feeling in bad taste to continue with the show after what happened, the crew needed to evacuate so the programme had to rush off air.

Indeed, will be interesting to see how Match of the Day handle things tonight, of course Gary Lineker has a personal connection to both of today's sad events.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I think Jake mentioned that they could see and hear the crash from their studio position. They did try to continue the programme but both he and the two guests were clearly sounding quite shaken, and I heard the playout director offering to take them off air pretty much as soon as they wanted. I expect tomorrow morning's repeat will probably be dropped, but that hadn't been decided by the time I left the building.

It's been quite a day. I think the channel struck the right tone on air; off-air I'm glad I work with such unflappable people who kept everything together in such unexpected circumstances.
BR
Brekkie
MOTD opened with the news about Glenn and the crash then bought forward the highlights of the Leicester game before talking to the commentator to get the latest on the situation. Just Gary on screen so far.
DE88, Custard56 and bilky asko gave kudos
BA
bilky asko
Gary Lineker very sombre at the start of Match of the Day, with the Glenn Hoddle news and the helicopter crash. The match commentator provided an update after the highlights, on a very clear connection presumably used for the earlier commentary.
UK
UKnews
Gary Lineker very sombre at the start of Match of the Day, with the Glenn Hoddle news and the helicopter crash. The match commentator provided an update after the highlights, on a very clear connection presumably used for the earlier commentary.

Possibly - or an ISDN in the tunnel / media centre is more likely.
Last edited by UKnews on 27 October 2018 11:15pm
IR
irisscanner

Possibly - or an ISDN in the tunnel / media centre is more likely.

The grounds were evacuated weren't they? I reckon BBC radio Leicester is the most likely place for an uplink
UK
UKnews
The grounds were evacuated weren't they? I reckon BBC radio Leicester is the most likely place for an uplink

The BBC producer Andrew James (who’d been working with with Alistair Mann) is quoted on the BBC live page saying he’d moved away from the crash site and was in the stadium media centre with others.

A call to evacuate is exactly what you'd expect to happen immediately, but clearly some time later journalists were able to be inside the ground.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The Crash occurred outside, albeit just, the club's perimeter, in an industrial area, so after evacuation, due diligence and presumably a headcount there's no reason that the buildings at the Stadium cannot now be used for incident support and broadcast.
BR
Brekkie
This is how BT reported it:

BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Tomorrow's repeat of Premier League Tonight has sensibly been dropped. Usual sweeps through commercial breaks tonight for anything that might be in bad taste as well.
UKnews and London Lite gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin
A suitable tone from Gary at the start and end of the programme. No end music either, just a slide and copyright. Although a bit daft to plug the MOTD annual book with a slide (from Pres?). There was no announcer so presumably it just hadn’t been removed from the junction?

Newer posts