TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

So the Mello hosts have been announced. Good timing for Eric Saade publcity - he's got an album out I think (or at least a new single)

SDF is always fantastic - so looking forward to seeing her host.

That's a fairly decent line-up. Shame the arms race of presenters at Eurovision has infiltrated MF.

To be fair - multiple presenters is nothing new in Mello - they've had years like this since the early 00s from memory.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I’d imagine Saade and Finer will lead with the others having contributory roles in the presentation. The subsidiary roles in Melodifesivalen are clearly signposted. Saade clearly chosen for the set change musical items.
NG
noggin Founding member
I’d imagine Saade and Finer will lead with the others having contributory roles in the presentation. The subsidiary roles in Melodifesivalen are clearly signposted. Saade clearly chosen for the set change musical items.

Not sure - Marika and Kodjo both have broadcast experience too (though I'd forgotten Saade is ex-Disney Club)

Be interesting to see how they use them all. Saade and SDF can both do musical parodies or straight performances. SDF can also do great comedy stuff (she's another Petra), and Marika has a comedy background too from Parlamentet.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I really hope SDF isn't reserved for the 'funny bits', we'll see. I note that there was zero reference to the widely vilified 'Mello' branding during the hosts presentation (which incidentally took an hour) last week.
NG
noggin Founding member
I really hope SDF isn't reserved for the 'funny bits', we'll see. I note that there was zero reference to the widely vilified 'Mello' branding during the hosts presentation (which incidentally took an hour) last week.

Yes - hopefully that failed rebrand exercise has been consigned to history. AIUI that was a pitch from last year's new Exec, but SVT got cold feet and rowed back on it (hence the branding mish mash). Wonder who is producing the show this year.
JM
JamesM0984
Martin Osterdhal produced the 2016 ESC, would he be involved?

Wouldn't be averse to SDF hosting in the event of another imminent Swedish win.
JM
JamesM0984
We have a slogan... "Dare To Dream"

https://eurovision.tv/story/slogan-tel-aviv-2019-dare-to-dream
JM
JamesM0984
Ola Melzig is travelling to Tel Aviv today according to Facebook.

Looks like we're welcoming back M&M Productions for a 4th year. International technical teams seem to be the way to go since Stockholm (although Lisbon had a multi camera director from RTP) Leaves the broadcaster to get on with the creative stuff.
JM
JamesM0984
Florian Wieder is on record confirming he's designing yet another circular monstrosity with a massive f**k off LED videowall behind it in Tel Aviv.

Sorry, a stage. I meant to say stage.

http://esctoday.com/169553/eurovision-2019-florian-wieder-to-design-the-stage-in-tel-aviv/

It's getting to the point that every show Is going to have exactly the same look-and-feel to it. 2018 was almost entirely a revamp of the 2017 look, right down to the font used on the graphics.

The main stage was practically identical to Kyiv's (LED aside) Lisbon's was fairly good but only because the LED screens were ditched. As for Kyiv's, both JESC and Melodifestivalen have done better jobs, sorry.

As I said in a thread elsewhere, historically there's only the BBC, RTE and SVT who genuinely try to make an effort to innovate and only one of those three broadcasters are going to deliver a win soon (Clue: they don't speak English!)

I understand the reasons for having a generic style but the Vienna, Kyiv and Lisbon shows have all been exceptionally vanilla. Baku wasn't great either but a loaded budget meant at least it looked good.
TI
tightrope78
*sigh*

You keep saying that only BBC, RTE & SVT have made innovative productions however you’ve happily ignored the two most innovative productions of their time, 1996 and 2010, both by NRK. The 1996 production in particular set the standard for later years. NRK introduced virtual reality, a massive arena and most importantly humour into the script. The 2010 production was equally streets ahead of anything we’d seen at that point.

I’d also go so far as to highlight 2014 in Copenhagen. Putting aside the financial mismanagement DR put on a visually spectacular show that was truly excellent to watch.

To say the BBC always innovative is a bit of a stretch when they’ve only hosted twice in 37 years.
BR
Brekkie
And neither RTE or the BBC have hosted this century.
DE88 and tightrope78 gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member

As I said in a thread elsewhere, historically there's only the BBC, RTE and SVT who genuinely try to make an effort to innovate and only one of those three broadcasters are going to deliver a win soon (Clue: they don't speak English!)

Umm - I've yet to meet a Swede who doesn't speak near-perfect English... I doubt you'll find anyone at SVT who doesn't...

Newer posts