TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2018 onwards)

Split from Doctor Who (2015) (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
Doctor Who usually have an opening sequence before the titles. I wonder if all the episode will start with the titles?

It seems to be harking back to the classic series with the titles themselves so I imagine it’s a decision they’ve made on purpose to have no pre-titles sequence similar to the classic series (mostly).

I can't determine if that's a good thing or not.

I love the way that the Ident fades to black and titles appear to emerge from there.
mr_vivian and Lou Scannon gave kudos
NE
Neil__
Doctor Who usually have an opening sequence before the titles. I wonder if all the episode will start with the titles?

It seems to be harking back to the classic series with the titles themselves so I imagine it’s a decision they’ve made on purpose to have no pre-titles sequence similar to the classic series (mostly).

I can't determine if that's a good thing or not.

I think it's just a thing, neither good nor bad.

Unlike this week's episode which was excellent, one of the best stories they've ever done.
welshkid, mr_vivian and Lou Scannon gave kudos
MR
mr_vivian
Agree
WH
Whataday Founding member
9 million consolidated figure for episode two. Supporters of #NotMyDoctor have been quick to point out a "steady decline" since the series debut but it's holding up very strongly.
:-(
A former member
Also its been pointed out the F1 was on at the same time, so I wonder what the catch up figures will be?
JA
JAS84
9 million consolidated figure for episode two. Supporters of #NotMyDoctor have been quick to point out a "steady decline" since the series debut but it's holding up very strongly.
Steady decline? After two episodes? Confused
DA
davidhorman

With one exception, every series of New Who has seen a drop in viewers between the first and second episode. They usually have a further drop, but by episode 3 they level out.

And let's just remind the "steady decliners" that if they want to argue on viewing figures - after two episodes - series 11 is, so far, the highest rating series of New Who, episode by episode (highest rating first episode, highest rating second episode). It's also beating most of Classic Who, in fact.

I wouldn't be surprised to see episode 3's figures buck the trend and go up on the week before, given all the positive buzz it's had. Even at the height of New Who mania, I don't remember third episodes getting discussed on Breakfast.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I've even seen the episode one overnights compared with the 2017 Christmas Special consolidated figure in a ridiculous attempt to undermine the new series.

47 days later

:-(
A former member
So there is no series in 2019.. It would seem to combine with other rumors S13 will be her last...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46501393

Quote:
Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker won't return for a new series until 2020

The next series of Doctor Who won't start until 2020, it's been confirmed. Series 11 ended on Sunday night, but after the festive special on New Year's Day, Jodie Whittaker won't be seen in the Tardis again next year.

Showrunner Chris Chibnall said work on the new series had already begun.

He said the team had been "blown away by the response from audiences" to the new Doctor. The first episode of the series, the first to feature a female Doctor, drew a record audience.

The Doctor has been joined by three new companions for the current series
It saw the highest launch viewing figures for the sci-fi stalwart in a decade, with 10.9 million people tuning in.

The series has been considered a ratings success, with viewing figures above those of the last two series when Peter Capaldi starred in the title role.

On Sunday evening, the Doctor was seen answering distress calls from a battle-scarred planet.

'More scares, more monsters'
Talking about the next series Chibnall, head writer of the show, said: "We're off again! Well we never actually stopped.

"As Jodie Whittaker's Doctor and friends have been winning the hearts of families across the nation this autumn, we've been busy with a whole new set of action-packed adventures for the 13th Doctor." He said they couldn't wait to bring "more scares, more monsters and more Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill and Tosin Cole" - referring to the Doctor's companions.

Lizo Mzimba, the BBC's entertainment correspondent, said while there was "a recognition that fans might want a series every single year, Doctor Who has almost uniquely complex filming requirements and a lengthy post-production period".

He added that the New Year's Day episode could have been planned so that 2019 "won't be a totally Doctor Who-free year".

The episode on 1 January marks a change in Christmas tradition, as it will be the first time Doctor Who hasn't been shown on Christmas Day since the drama's return in 2005.
AA
Amber Avenger
Not sure why a delay into 2020 means it's more likely two and done for the 13th Doctor. The press release says early 2020, so I'd bet good money it'll be the first few weeks of that year, maybe even another New Year's Day debut, in which case it's only about an additional 12 week wait from this year's series, far quicker than the wait between the last two series of Who.
CB
ChipperBird
There's a quote from Jodie in another version of this announcement where she claims she's "not quite ready to give up the role yet" which seems like weird wording for someone planning to settle into the role for a fair length of time. But it's possible it's just a bad choice of words.

There had been rumors that Chibnall wasn't happy, and was planning to leave - and if he left then it was likely Jodie would walk with him. But according to another source, that was a "bad day at the office" and it's been smoothed over.

That said the rumor of Jodie and Chibnall leaving had been out there for about 3 weeks and it's taken till now to confirm they are staying on rather than deny it soon as that report popped up (from a reputable magazine source) - so not sure it's all happy families.
WH
Whataday Founding member
They were refusing to comment on the length of Jodie's tenure since before the start of the series, and they haven't given much away generally, so their lack of response to the speculation is not really unusual.

Newer posts