TV Home Forum

Top Gear

(April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Thread hasn't been posted in since June and the search function is broken (you get no results). How long did it take you to find this thread? You'd have needed to manually look back through dozens of pages, I reckon. That's why nobody could be bothered.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Thread hasn't been posted in since June and the search function is broken (you get no results). How long did it take you to find this thread? You'd have needed to manually look back through dozens of pages, I reckon. That's why nobody could be bothered.

Had to Google search.
JO
Joe
Was surprised to not see this even mentioned on the forum. Is nobody bothered anymore?

Top Gear: McGuinness and Flintoff announced as new hosts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

JAS84 posted:

Na, I think Square Eyes had it right the first time
JM
JamesM0984
Let the Stig see the car!
030293, Lou Scannon and Josh gave kudos
MA
Markymark
Was surprised to not see this even mentioned on the forum. Is nobody bothered anymore?

Top Gear: McGuinness and Flintoff announced as new hosts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

I'd assumed the Beeb had finally thrown the towel in with Top Gear, but it seems not......
RD
rdd Founding member
Given that they’ve two more series ordered (series 26, which is le Blanc’s last, and then series 27 with the new line up) obviously someone is watching, or they wouldn’t be throwing good money after bad, because that will take them five series (if not quite five years) since Clarkson, Hammond, and May’s departure. There will be plenty of TV shows come and gone in that time.
JM
JamesM0984
Interestingly, there's only one more series of the Grand Tour under contract and it's anyone's guess as to when that will drop (same with Man in the High Castle which had nearly two years between Seasons 2 & 3) - I wonder if the BBC will go back grovelling, or has that ship sailed now?

I can only assume that it must still be selling well internationally.
NG
noggin Founding member
I wonder if the BBC will go back grovelling, or has that ship sailed now?

I'm not sure that the situation has changed. Clarkson physically assaulted a producer. Time doesn't change that... BBC absolutely shouldn't be revisiting Clarkson on that show - and grovelling would be horrific.
DE88, james-2001 and Brekkie gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
Not to mention Amazon are probably giving them a budget and salary that the BBC couldn't even think of affording, especially with the colossal amount of cuts they need to make.
HC
Hatton Cross
Not to mention, to go to Amazon they set up the production company 'W.H Chump' to make The Grand Tour.
So to re-join the BBC, either the BBC would have to commission that company to produce the programme (and loose some editoral control of the content)- or they would offer to wind it up if it was still made in house by BBC Studios.

That's a lot to untangle, just to get their car parking spaces back at Dunsfold Airfield.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure the BBC would lose editorial control so much, he who pays the piper and all that.
TR
TROGGLES
I wonder if the BBC will go back grovelling, or has that ship sailed now?

I'm not sure that the situation has changed. Clarkson physically assaulted a producer. Time doesn't change that... BBC absolutely shouldn't be revisiting Clarkson on that show - and grovelling would be horrific.

Now the dust has settled the evidence is very clear that Clarkson assaulted the producer which was caused by the pressure put on him by the BBC. It was stated that had a cancer scare at the time. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions and a lot of people who were arguably culpable did not answer for their failures.
The problem was compounded by a certain BBC manager who, (as published in Private Eye) used the situation to promote his position to position himself for the DG's job. The magazine alleged that he briefed against Clarkson & Tony Hall to the Daily Mail. Clarkson in the Guardian ...
“Everybody thinks that the BBC was a bloody nightmare. It wasn’t. Cohen was,” said Clarkson. “The BBC was brilliant to work for until the arrival of Mr Cohen. They never really interfered at all. But he was a bloody nuisance and caused me an enormous amount of stress.”
He 'left' the BBC very quickly after that.
The show should have been licenced to Chump & Sons to produce it away from interfering the various BBC little fiefdoms.

Newer posts