TV Home Forum

BBC Cuts

£800m savings by centenary (October 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
roo

The truth is though there's huge layers of middle management that could go too.

Is that from experience or the cliché about the BBC. I'm not saying it's necessarily incorrect but it is something that has been addressed recently with limits on the number of levels from top to bottom. It does to me, as someone who's been in and out of the corporation a few times it does seem a lot slimmer these days.

I think this is fair. I'm pretty unimportant and there's 6 people between me and Tony, which doesn't seem atypical for an organisation of the BBC's size.
OM
Omnipresent
I personally don’t want to see any services close. Shutting down BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel was a huge strategic error.

The BBC has made enough cuts already. The days of the BBC having three websites for the 1998 World Cup are long gone. Theresa May has declared austerity is over, so it’s time for it to apply to the BBC.
IS
Inspector Sands
dvboy posted:
Radio news is already shared, outside of breakfast the news on radios 2 and 6 is done by the same presenter, I think it's the same on 1 and 1xtra?

Yes, though its the same bulletin that goes out on 1 and 1xtra, whereas it's the same newsreader on 2 and 6, but at different times
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 19 October 2018 2:49pm
JK
JKDerry
dvboy posted:
Radio news is already shared, outside of breakfast the news on radios 2 and 6 is done by the same presenter, I think it's the same on 1 and 1xtra?

Yes, though its the same bulletin that goes out on 1 and 1xtra, whereas it's the same newsreader on 2 and 6, but at different times

BBC Radio 1 News has been hacked back a lot, with the axing of some early morning and early evening bulletins. Their weekend news output ends at 3.30pm.
JM
JamesM0984
I personally don’t want to see any services close. Shutting down BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel was a huge strategic error.

The BBC has made enough cuts already. The days of the BBC having three websites for the 1998 World Cup are long gone. Theresa May has declared austerity is over, so it’s time for it to apply to the BBC.

Who's paying for it?
JK
JKDerry

Who's paying for it?

Paying for what?
JM
JamesM0984

Who's paying for it?

Paying for what?

A BBC with more services and investment, not less.
JO
Joe
Mike Ashley
KE
kernow
Joe posted:
Mike Ashley

Mike Ashley is the last person I'd want to see invest in the BBC, after what he's doing to House of Fraser.

He said he would turn House of Fraser into the "Harrods of the High Street", but many of their stores look more like branches of Sports Direct nowadays.

He is also closing stores because of what he calls "greedy" landlords, whearas in reality, he is expecting landlords to agree to zero rents and rates in some cases.
DB
dbl
Joe posted:
Mike Ashley

*shudders*
HC
Hatton Cross
If you want to see what BBC One would be rapidly like under Ashley, just watch Channel 5 and any of the local that's/Made TV stations.
JO
Joe
Good job I was only joking then, really.

Newer posts