TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Bloody hell. Almost more airtime given to his best bits than his original series.
:-(
A former member
I would love to to see more Car Share.
NW
nwtv2003
It's actually the third series of Comedy Shuffle coming up, would you believe.

Jeez, talk about milking it. I’m very much a fan of Peter Kay and his work but this shouldn’t be getting a third series, in prime time, in the autumn schedule.

If you have to either give Cradle To Grave another run, or show Car Share again from the start, at least there’s some entertainment there.
:-(
A former member
“Here are more scraps of entertainment for you, grateful fans - aren’t I the cleverest and funniest person that existed?” - Peter Kay
Larry the Loafer, Rory and Brekkie gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
So rather than his best bits, they are the bits that weren’t good enough to appear in the last two series, the Third best bits.

The vast majority of those bits will have originated on Channel 4 as well.
DA
davidhorman
The Ident Should NOT be telling the news of what is about to come.

We all hate spoilers but I think this would be an exception.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Asa posted:
Does that not tell you had dreadful the current ident package is.

Apples and oranges though. That ident would presumably only be used for cross-channel junctions.

Can only theorise but in the event of a major event I wonder if the plan is for BBC One and Two to introduce the news with their respective idents, then use that for subsequent joined up junctions. Or both fade to black and have one channel do the introduction? Guess one day we’ll find out.

For the Queen Mum it was a still of their most sombre ident. Although I wonder if a "News Report" slide in the same style as the standby weather slide would be a better way to do it, that way if one of the networks ends up sitting on it for several minutes (as BBC Two had to) it looks a bit more natural than a still of something that isn't meant to be still.
DA
davidhorman
Presumably there's an ident-in-waiting of mourners gathered around a grave looking up at the camera.
SC
Si-Co
I thought “Forest” was the bespoke “sombre ident”, however it hasn’t been used (at least by network) in the few instances where the other Oneness idents weren’t considered suitable. Instead we got the plain “BBC one” still (which I’m sure has a name). I can’t recall when I last saw Forest.
RE
Rex
Si-Co posted:
I thought “Forest” was the bespoke “sombre ident”, however it hasn’t been used (at least by network) in the few instances where the other Oneness idents weren’t considered suitable. Instead we got the plain “BBC one” still (which I’m sure has a name). I can’t recall when I last saw Forest.

June 2017, when the London Bridge attack happened. Forest was shown but it was muted because singing birds were apparently inappropriate. Haven’t seen it since.
Presumably there's an ident-in-waiting of mourners gathered around a grave looking up at the camera.

Birdwatchers probably fills that gap especially when it linked into a Madeleine McCann doc in May 2017. Or maybe not...
VM
VMPhil
Asa posted:
Does that not tell you had dreadful the current ident package is.

Apples and oranges though. That ident would presumably only be used for cross-channel junctions.

Can only theorise but in the event of a major event I wonder if the plan is for BBC One and Two to introduce the news with their respective idents, then use that for subsequent joined up junctions. Or both fade to black and have one channel do the introduction? Guess one day we’ll find out.

For the Queen Mum it was a still of their most sombre ident. Although I wonder if a "News Report" slide in the same style as the standby weather slide would be a better way to do it, that way if one of the networks ends up sitting on it for several minutes (as BBC Two had to) it looks a bit more natural than a still of something that isn't meant to be still.

I'm not sure if there was initially an obit ident in the 2002 set. For the death of the Queen Mother they used both a still from 'Ballet', and a blurred photo of the 'Capoeira' dancers, which was the background for menus and was also supposed to the background to the unused clock, but I don't know if it was ever intended to be used as a serious news ident

LL
Larry the Loafer
“Here are more scraps of entertainment for you, grateful fans - aren’t I the cleverest and funniest person that existed?” - Peter Kay

It's horribly ironic that, during the Live and Back on Nights documentary, he said something along the lines of comedy material having a shelf life, and that you can't keep doing routines over and over again "unless you're Ken Dodd".

I've never known a performer to squeeze every last drop out of his work with the least amount of effort he can. I'm starting to wonder if people are starting to catch wind and go off him a bit. I remember the response to his last appearance on The Jonathan Ross Show being lukewarm at best.

Newer posts