« Topics
Colorband (previously AgainWTheNorth) 249 posts since 30 May 2015
UTV BBC World News
EDIT: Hopefully this is available in the UK - Actual official upload of the titles.

I also enjoy the credits - and am surprised to see they finally got in credits that weren't either actor names or the story and the writer.
Last edited by Colorband on 14 October 2018 7:55pm - 2 times in total
Graphic designer. Electronic idiot.
paul_hadley, watchingtv and London Lite gave kudos
irisscanner83 posts since 15 Jun 2018
UTV Newsline
I noticed this on the Netflix Marvel shows as well. Writer and Director credited after the titles. I presume it's to do with Netflix's skip intro function. Director and writer want their name remembered.
Mr-Stabby2,745 posts since 4 Feb 2004
London London
I noticed this on the Netflix Marvel shows as well. Writer and Director credited after the titles. I presume it's to do with Netflix's skip intro function. Director and writer want their name remembered.

One of the more frustrating things about Netflix for me if i'm honest. The fact that even Netflix shows put money into their title sequences and then prompt their users to skip them.

I really do like the new titles, i have to say. The music is nice and eerie too, which is more faithful to the original radiophonic version than some of the previous ones have been. I have to say though i'm disappointed we didn't get something that was closer to that small teaser clip of the TARDIS flying through those orange shapes. That was very original. Lovely though these new titles are, they're not very groundbreaking.
DJ Dave gave kudos
noggin14,544 posts since 26 Jun 2001
I notice the production credits read "BBC Studios for BBC" with no mention of BBC Wales. Is this a new thing?

Yes - BBC Studios is the major brand being pushed now, as it is the production company that makes Doctor Who, and is commissioned by the BBC to do so. It may be made by the BBC Studios drama operation in Wales, but AIUI it's not made by BBC Wales any more technically (it's being made by BBC Studios in Wales)
noggin14,544 posts since 26 Jun 2001
As much as I like the new titles design, wouldn't it make more sense to have the writer and director name in the credits. Seems odd to have the series producer in there. Or the episode title and writer name.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/site/Opening_and_closing_Credits.pdf

The BBC has rules on who/what can be credited in the opening :

"Where feasible (eg in Dramas) key talent, Writers and senior editorial/production staff should be credited in the opening sequence instead of the end credits. Opening credits should not be repeated in closing credit sequences except credits for performers."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/production/articles/credits-branding-trademarks#a-z

So writers, producers and directors should, ideally, be credited in the opening, along with lead actors.
Last edited by noggin on 15 October 2018 1:57pm - 2 times in total