TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen

At one point they had the BBC video ident as obit presentation during the Balloon era until it was dropped a few years later, they never used it.

It wasn't that they used the BBC Video ident, it was the generic BBC logo that was introduced in 1997, use whenever it wasn't a specific brand being referred to. Two other places it was seen was on flags outside BBC buildings and as the wallpaper image on the BBC desktop computers.

On screen it was known as the 'Family Symbol', family as in it was to be used on the family of channels. There was a clock to

It wasn't used as it wasn't needed, unlike its predessesor which was seen in the night Diana died. I expect the modern day version is that wavy looped logo seen occasionally

I wish I had a video but is it like the vanity card they use on productions (not sure if it’s seen in the UK) where it’s the logo with a waving like blue backdrop.
CN
ClarkNarvas

At one point they had the BBC video ident as obit presentation during the Balloon era until it was dropped a few years later, they never used it.

It wasn't that they used the BBC Video ident, it was the generic BBC logo that was introduced in 1997, use whenever it wasn't a specific brand being referred to. Two other places it was seen was on flags outside BBC buildings and as the wallpaper image on the BBC desktop computers.

On screen it was known as the 'Family Symbol', family as in it was to be used on the family of channels. There was a clock to

It wasn't used as it wasn't needed, unlike its predessesor which was seen in the night Diana died. I expect the modern day version is that wavy looped logo seen occasionally

I wish I had a video but is it like the vanity card they use on productions (not sure if it’s seen in the UK) where it’s the logo with a waving like blue backdrop.

IS
Inspector Sands

The original one had red, blue and green ribbons behind the logo. Looked like this:

Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 October 2018 9:53am - 5 times in total
WO
Worzel

The original one had red, blue and green ribbons behind the logo. Looked like this:

As also seen on many BBC DVD releases, complete with music.
VM
VMPhil
Surprisingly there isn't a decent widescreen copy of the above BBC DVD logo on YouTube, so here's a rip I made myself

As well as the one used on the day Princess Diana died, and the ribbon one above, another 'family ident' has been described on here as featuring both the BBC1 and BBC2 logos from the '90s in a way that made it look like a channel called BBC ½.
CA
Caly123
I am sure something similar has been discussed before, but yesterday I saw yet another example of the "oneness" diatribe being replaced as it was inappropriate.

This is obviously from the previous package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaKgLCLV5c0

Honestly, good on Network for actually showing a serious ident at this time.
But I wonder, if the Queen's death was announced, how would they introduce the running news bulletins? Would they use that same ident but in monochrome or would they use a BBC logo instead like they did with Diana's death back in 1997?

Someone mentioned of a BBC ident with a gold logo in front of a purple silk background, and other idents that are available to access on Sky. All labelled as9 ‘Event Safe’.

That was me. The ident surprisingly not on Sky Q anymore.

Last edited by Caly123 on 14 October 2018 8:20pm - 7 times in total
:-(
A former member
Does that not tell you had dreadful the current ident package is. if some think we need that! At least with BBC2 there is at least four idents which could be used for such news.
AS
Asa Admin
Does that not tell you had dreadful the current ident package is.

Apples and oranges though. That ident would presumably only be used for cross-channel junctions.

Can only theorise but in the event of a major event I wonder if the plan is for BBC One and Two to introduce the news with their respective idents, then use that for subsequent joined up junctions. Or both fade to black and have one channel do the introduction? Guess one day we’ll find out.
RE
Rex

Honestly, good on Network for actually showing a serious ident at this time.
But I wonder, if the Queen's death was announced, how would they introduce the running news bulletins? Would they use that same ident but in monochrome or would they use a BBC logo instead like they did with Diana's death back in 1997?

Someone mentioned of a BBC ident with a gold logo in front of a purple silk background, and other idents that are available to access on Sky. All labelled as9 ‘Event Safe’.

That was me. The ident surprisingly not on Sky Q anymore.

It looks somewhat like a modern version of the BBC family ident that aired when Diana died.

Guessing this could be shown if a category 1 death happens.
:-(
A former member
Asa posted:
Does that not tell you had dreadful the current ident package is.

Apples and oranges though. That ident would presumably only be used for cross-channel junctions.

Can only theorise but in the event of a major event I wonder if the plan is for BBC One and Two to introduce the news with their respective idents, then use that for subsequent joined up junctions. Or both fade to black and have one channel do the introduction? Guess one day we’ll find out.

Someone defending Oneness Very Happy The Ident Should NOT be telling the news of what is about to come. Diana was a special case.
BR
Brekkie
Is Still Open All Hours the only pre-watershed comedy (and I use that term lightly) on BBC1 all year now?

Also see they're getting a second series out of Peter Kay's Best (but not good enough for series 1) bits. Would rather they gave Cradle to Grave a repeat run considering Peter Kay stepping down from professional commitments means a second series was postponed.
VM
VMPhil
It's actually the third series of Comedy Shuffle coming up, would you believe.

Newer posts