« Topics
Mouseboy332,413 posts since 10 Feb 2014
I always thought that the BFMTV presenters had a comfy banter with each other and they in general dont have a stilted style of moving and walking around a set and when transitioning between stories. And really its because its not a typically rolling news style channel in the accepted sense. Its a breezier, personable style rather the rigid "gotta-stick-to the auto-cue", "thank-you-very-much-indeed" style you see on Sky or BBC . Makes for interesting watch. "
I said what I said!
London Lite gave kudos
Woodpecker206 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today
Here's a clip from Newsnight - but not the Newsnight you're thinking of! This Newsnight, broadcast on New Zealand's TV2 during the mid-90s, was aimed at twentysomethings, and as such was quite a bit more irreverent than your average news programme, with heavy emphasis on pop-culture. This clip has an intro, with a theme tune that I don't think could be any more 90s if it tried, followed by a blooper reel (it's the final edition for the female presenter, Alison Mau):

NYTV, Quatorzine Neko and 3 others
  • DE88
  • chinamug
  • WW Update
gave kudos
WW Update4,261 posts since 6 Feb 2007
Continuing our recent theme of defunct CNN-branded channels, let's go back to 2010 and the last few minutes of Spain's CNN+, a joint venture of Sogecable/PRISA (which had the rights to operate Canal Plus-branded channels in Spain) and Turner Broadcasting; the clip includes footage of protests against the closure and a look back at the channel's history:

Last edited by WW Update on 9 October 2018 11:36pm
rdd3,138 posts since 21 Jun 2001
That’s one very busy ident.

The logo is very 80s....but it was the 80s, I guess! Strange to think it took 7 years before the familiar logo with the NBC peacock was introduced - they’d go through two more short lived logos before that happened.
Rkolsen2,285 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
That’s one very busy ident.

The logo is very 80s....but it was the 80s, I guess! Strange to think it took 7 years before the familiar logo with the NBC peacock was introduced - they’d go through two more short lived logos before that happened.

If I recall correctly the thinking of it being peacockless was so that people wouldn’t think the NBC stood for National Broadcasting Company but rather News and Business Channel.
Don’t let anyone treat you like your a VO/SOT when your a PKG.
Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
globaltraffic24419 posts since 23 Jun 2013
STV Central Reporting Scotland
CNBC was originally a 50/50 partnership with Cablevision, so my guess is that the other players put obstacles in the way to prevent NBC putting its mark on the station. As soon as NBC took full control, the peacock was gradually introduced. The original partnership is also the reason for CNBCs peculiar location out of town.
WW Update, London Lite and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
rdd3,138 posts since 21 Jun 2001
I had always worked under the assumption that, even then, “Consumer News and Business Channel” was a backronym - ie it was chosen to fit the initials, not the other way around!
WW Update and BBI45 gave kudos
globaltraffic24419 posts since 23 Jun 2013
STV Central Reporting Scotland
I had always worked under the assumption that, even then, “Consumer News and Business Channel” was a backronym - ie it was chosen to fit the initials, not the other way around!

Got it in one! CNBC was originally a low budget channel known as 'Tempo'. NBC attempted to buy it with the long-term view of pitching it as a business channel, but it's attempts failed, so it ultimately 'went into partnership' with Cablevision, which was really just an unfriendly takeover. That combined with the failure of the established leader of the time - FNN - got us where we are today.
rdd gave kudos