Media Websites

Ident Central

Farewell... (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HB
HarryB
To be quite honest, Ident Central is the exact same site and looks the same to when it was TV Live, just seems to be a sake of a rebrand and new name. So why didn't you just change the URL and the logo on the site to Ident Central where that would retain all the same content rather then just having to re upload it again?
NE
Newsroom24
rob posted:
Am i missing something here, what is the point of identcentral?

What is the point of you registering on this forum, just to ask a rather stupid question?

rob posted:
Buggy? How? Tell me what's wrong with it, don't just say it's buggy. Give me something to work with.

As for the missing content, I'm working on it. Be patient for crying out loud, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.

I don't really understand why you are being so defensive about people's comments. People aren't just commenting to spite you and so I don't really understand why you don't just answer people's questions about the site.

To be quite honest, Ident Central is the exact same site and looks the same to when it was TV Live, just seems to be a sake of a rebrand and new name. So why didn't you just change the URL and the logo on the site to Ident Central where that would retain all the same content rather then just having to re upload it again?

I have to agree, while I do prefer the branding on the new Ident Central, re-uploding all of the content does seem like an overly complicated way to just change the colours and logo.
:-(
A former member
It was more than just a rebrand. There is alot of back office changes inlcuding realinging all the content folders. It's not an easy job.
RO
rob Founding member
I'm not trying to be defensive, I am trying to take a genuine interest in trying to find out what's working and what's not with the site. Posts like "it's buggy" don't help me at all. I need to know specifically what's wrong, so I can take a look at it and fix any problems.

623058 is absolutely right. The old site was getting very difficult to manage, as images for some sections of the site were spread across multiple folders. With the new site, we're able to catalogue the images much easier, and I'm able to find things much quicker now.

As I've explained elsewhere, the name change came about because I was getting sick and bloody tired of emails from people who thought TV Live was a genuine television channel. It's worked, because I've had no emails of that nature since the name change. I'm surprised it's taken this long for people to moan about it...

I can understand that people think that IC is the same as TVL, I will agree with that. However, once again I need to re-iterate that it's going to take time to get the site back to the same standard that TVL was. It's currently a one man operation, and my career is taking priority at this point in time. It's not easy trying to juggle a career with running a website like this. You will just have to be patient I'm afraid.
NE
Newsroom24
It was more than just a rebrand. There is alot of back office changes inlcuding realinging all the content folders. It's not an easy job.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great site and it really is fantastic to have such a comprehensive range of idents - it also looks very professional.

However, some of the responses to feedback do seem quite defensive which I don't really get.
VM
VMPhil
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be defensive when someone joins a forum only to post “Sorry, what’s the point of your clearly defined website that you’ve spent years working on?”, and then have to deal with “Yeah what is it with that site!” replies as if the original post had any merit.
ID
Identity

However, some of the responses to feedback do seem quite defensive which I don't really get.

I agree, very defensive.
Okay the issues I have.
•Rather than having ‘other presentation/channels’ or whatever it is why not just focus on the main ones first.
• a few links come up with the 404 error page
• very slow on mobile devices (not just my I phone)

Why not just focus on one channel at a time rather than doing a bit here and a bit there?
To be honest I think I’ll just carry on using the ident gallery as is a much better site content wise and as a site in total. Maybe don’t launch a site until it’s atleast a bit more complete...
JO
Joe
You know what? Rob and co can do things in whatever order they like. It’s his site, he pays for its resources, he does it in his own time and offers it for free. He owes you precisely nothing - you’ve contributed nothing but meanness.

‘Why don’t you do it in x order’ is an extremely weak argument. There might be a million reasons he’s decided to do things in a certain way and they’re no concern of yours.

I only hope you’re not this rude out there in the real world about things that actually matter.

PS - your thoughts on 404s and speed are reasonable - but what a shame you didn’t mention them in a reasonable way.
RO
rob Founding member
Joe is spot on. I will run the site in my own way, when I have the time to do so.

The 404 errors and speed issues are being looked into this weekend.

If you want to visit the Ident Gallery, then feel free, I'm not stopping you. In fact, I encourage visiting every other presentation site out there as they're all different in their own way.
:-(
A former member
rob posted:
In fact, I encourage visiting every other presentation site out there as they're all different in their own way.

Absolutely, and I would do the same. Most of our sites are run single-handedly with some contributions, and each has its own merits.

I would always point people towards Ident Central and the old TV Room as they have a wealth of past presentation that I don't and will probably never have. Just as I directed people to TV Whirl for up to the minute coverage of the new BBC 2 and Channel 4 presentation as I was working very long hours without time off and was unable to do updates.

Running these sites is a hobby for all of us, I guess, and they can't be monetised and are costly in time and resources, so I'm afraid you the end user gets what you pay for!
ID
Identity
Joe posted:
You know what? Rob and co can do things in whatever order they like. It’s his site, he pays for its resources, he does it in his own time and offers it for free. He owes you precisely nothing - you’ve contributed nothing but meanness.

‘Why don’t you do it in x order’ is an extremely weak argument. There might be a million reasons he’s decided to do things in a certain way and they’re no concern of yours.

I only hope you’re not this rude out there in the real world about things that actually matter.

PS - your thoughts on 404s and speed are reasonable - but what a shame you didn’t mention them in a reasonable way.

Ofcourse he can do what we wants and I didn’t say he couldn’t. He asked me what was wrong with his site and how it’s buggy and I told him. Don’t ask for an explanation if you don’t like the answer

42 days later

RO
rob Founding member
General Election coverage from 1979-1997 back online. More to come in the coming days.
Rory, Joe and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts