The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
neonemesis
I'd wondered about this too. Surely it can't be too hard to stitch images from more than one satellite together. Its not like there isn't satellite imagery from over the Atlantic.

I always thought that the data that cuts off at the edges is not satellite but the radar picture. I remember when I did my geography a-level (many years ago) some of the weather pictures we used were based on the radar which covered the UK but didn't go far into the atlantic as the radars are ground based.

This image isnt very good but shows the extent of the radar data. You can imagine that if a dataset is using radar overlayed with satellite imagery then cutting both off at the extent of the radar picture makes some kind of sense.

SP
Spencer
The rainfall radar footprint has always been made up of a series of overlapping circles based on the various radar stations’ locations. So I’m a bit puzzled as to how the image above has a straight edge.
NE
neonemesis
You're right - on doing some more research it seems there are now 15 weather radars across the UK. Perhaps this straight edge view is a hangover from earlier (presumably lower resolution) systems.

This image shows the shape of radar data that I remember from school, which is a sector of a circle which covers the UK, I can only presume from a radar system to the south. Or it could be that the shape is something to do with the curvature of the earth. I wish I listened more during geography lessons now.

http://www.flymac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/will-it-rain.png

I'm struggling to find answers - only more questions! Of course, it could be nothing to do with radar at all... I'm out of ideas!
Last edited by neonemesis on 5 September 2018 11:37am - 2 times in total
CL
clh
You're right - on doing some more research it seems there are now 15 weather radars across the UK. Perhaps this straight edge view is a hangover from earlier (presumably lower resolution) systems.

This image shows the shape of radar data that I remember from school, which is a sector of a circle which covers the UK, I can only presume from a radar system to the south. Or it could be that the shape is something to do with the curvature of the earth. I wish I listened more during geography lessons now.

http://www.flymac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/will-it-rain.png

I'm struggling to find answers - only more questions! Of course, it could be nothing to do with radar at all... I'm out of ideas!

The map is flattened, so if we take a rectangle on a globe, when flattened the stuff in the north will be wider than in the south.

20 days later

GM
Gary McEwan
Just seen this on Sky's website.

Quote:
Forecaster MeteoGroup to come under TBG umbrella.

Swiss-owned business information provider TBG is to buy MeteoGroup, the weather forecasting giant which supplies data to the BBC and British Airways.

Full Article Here.

15 days later

GM
Gary McEwan
Is ITV having issues in keeping their weather sponsors? We've not long had CheckATrade and now they've got Halfords...
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Is ITV having issues in keeping their weather sponsors? We've not long had CheckATrade and now they've got Halfords...

Well Halfords is a 15 month contract apparently. Halfords has 3 months left on a deal with Channel 4 Weather so for a while they'll sponsor on both channels.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/halfords-moves-weather-sponsorship-c4-itv/1495112
SP
Spencer

Well Halfords is a 15 month contract apparently. Halfords has 3 months left on a deal with Channel 4 Weather so for a while they'll sponsor on both channels.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/halfords-moves-weather-sponsorship-c4-itv/1495112

It's quite possible that Halfords were signed up, but didn't want to start immediately after SSE ended, and so Checkatrade were happy to fill the gap.
BS
Ben Shatliff
Is John Mitchell still based in Leeds or is he now based at MediaCityUk?

We are seeing more of him on Granada Reports and I just wondered if he is still in Leeds or if the former ITV Northern Weather Hub has relocated to Salford?

If I am correct Kerrie Gosney and Emma Jesson have been based at MediaCityUk for some time; unless that has now changed?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jon is still in Leeds

He’ll be appearing more on Granada due to Emma Jesson being on long term leave. He even works weekends sometimes now.
BS
Ben Shatliff
Jon is still in Leeds

He’ll be appearing more on Granada due to Emma Jesson being on long term leave. He even works weekends sometimes now.

Thank you for responding. I guess this is why we sometimes see other presenters from National and Regions filling in as Jo is on maternity leave and Emma; long term leave.
LL
London Lite Founding member
MIllbank cover has become more common across the regions. All of the network presenters and Helen Plint have covered pres shifts across the ITV regions. Sometimes it's two at a time covering northern and southern regions.

Newer posts