Media Websites

Twitter (and other social media) Gold Thread

Sharing the best from Twitter... before closing time! (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Looking at the contents list nothing we don't already know about. There's a TV series on somewhere that runs through the 1980s presumably with talking heads full of people who weren't born in the 1980s.

Anatomy of TV logo I think was done either as a Transdifusion article or a YouTube video. Story of Fools & Horses is on permanent loop on Gold at the moment, Michael Grade contributes as a talking head on the 1980s when he isn't on BBC Four, TV-am is well documented (it sucked, it nearly died, it got its arse kicked and then it recovered), I presume Chips is the Catchphrase Mr Chips and I'm pretty sure that episode of EastEnders with the divorce papers attracted far more than 21 million viewers.

There we go, I just saved everybody £3.99. If you still want to part with it, send it to me instead at the usual address - c/o TV Forum, Behind the hot water pipes, Third washroom along, Victoria Station Smile
SW
Steve Williams
I see that talking about TV shows you've only seen clips of is a bad thing, but slagging off a magazine where you've only seen the contents page and simply guessed what it might be like (incorrectly, in many cases) is apparently absolutely fine.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I see that talking about TV shows you've only seen clips of is a bad thing, but slagging off a magazine where you've only seen the contents page and simply guessed what it might be like (incorrectly, in many cases) is apparently absolutely fine.

I have not "slagged "anything off. If you have purchased the magazine and enjoyed it, then good for you.
I may take issue with the "21 million viewers" thing being noted as the most watched show in the 1980s though.
SW
Steve Williams
I may take issue with the "21 million viewers" thing being noted as the most watched show in the 1980s though.

As is made clear on this BBC News article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16671101 - the higher 30 million figure includes the figure for the omnibus, which is a metric no longer used when compiling ratings, and the page itself points out that it refers to the highest rated single episode.

I have not "slagged "anything off. If you have purchased the magazine and enjoyed it, then good for you.

Well, maybe you'd enjoy it too - but you appear to have already written it off after looking at the contents page, as despite in your original post misunderstanding at least two of the articles, you've already suggested it is a waste of money and compared it to programmes "full of people who weren't born in the 1980s". And if that's not slagging it off, I don't know what is.

I can assure you all the contributors to this magazine were alive in the eighties. I've done more than purchase it.
:-(
A former member
It's not a bad mag, rather interesting in places. Its worth a read.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The power of TVF, I've purchased a copy online.

20 days later

JA
james-2001

8 days later

SP
Steve in Pudsey
What messes with my head is the screen hanging from the grid - I hadn't realised flat screens of any description were available in 1993
JA
james-2001
I don't think it is a flat screen, it's still a CRT, just the back of it's black so you cant see it easily, but looking at it closely I'm pretty sure the bulk of the CRT is still there. Not easy to see admittedly, with the combined speed of the camera and the video compression.

With Andi Peters and flat screens though, there is a clip that gets shown occasionally from the short lived music show The Noise he presented on ITV briefly in 1996 where he kisses an early plasma screen, then burns his lips because of the heat.

8 days later

:-(
A former member

nwtv2003, BBI45 and elmarko gave kudos
EL
elmarko
oh my god
DB
dbl
Young Kermit I'm assuming?

*rocks in the corner*

Newer posts