TV Home Forum

Could UKTV be scrapped?

To allow concentration on a Netflix rival... (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Existing channels could close, and the worthwhile content moving to existing channels

As mentioned previously, there's overlap between Home, Yesterday, Good Food and Eden with existing Discovery channels, so some channels could indeed close.
OS
OboeShoes
So, what are the chances of either W or Drama getting cut? There's little on either that can't be served by the other.
:-(
A former member
I think drama is safe for now. W just crap. I dare say were see tipping point on challenge.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I think drama is safe for now. W just crap.

W does have some original commissions however.
LL
Larry the Loafer

Not enough for what was once considered to be UKTV's flagship channel. They've reached the point where they're repeating programmes originally commissioned by other UKTV channels.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Including Women on the Verge which starts tonight and has had a huge amount of coverage (and strong reviews).
KE
kernow

Including Women on the Verge which starts tonight and has had a huge amount of coverage (and strong reviews).

That programme could easily be shown on one of the other channels, such as Drama, Gold or Really.
ST
Stuart
Not so sure about UKTV Play. Can't see it surviving in its current form with the 6 'BBC' channels. I'm guessing that could get broken up like the rest of UKTV, with some channels becoming part of BBC iPlayer (with some channels only available to subscribers), and the rest becoming part of Discovery on demand.

I don't see how commercial channels, even ones belonging to BBC Studios, can be on iPlayer.

I thought the BBC was not allowed to have commercial channels in the UK which are branded as 'BBC', so showing them (only to subscribers) on BBC iPlayer would surely involve a change to the Charter?
KE
kernow
Not so sure about UKTV Play. Can't see it surviving in its current form with the 6 'BBC' channels. I'm guessing that could get broken up like the rest of UKTV, with some channels becoming part of BBC iPlayer (with some channels only available to subscribers), and the rest becoming part of Discovery on demand.

I don't see how commercial channels, even ones belonging to BBC Studios, can be on iPlayer.

I thought the BBC was not allowed to have commercial channels in the UK which are branded as 'BBC', so showing them (only to subscribers) on BBC iPlayer would surely involve a change to the Charter?

S4C is a commercial channel, and that's on iPlayer now.
NW
nwtv2003

S4C is a commercial channel, and that's on iPlayer now.

S4C is a special entity, it’s part Licence fee funded and managed by the BBC, it has adverts to top up funding, it’s not commercial in the same sense of ITV or Channel 5.

Will be interesting to see what channels and content survive when the deal is confirmed. I would bet that Dave, Drama and Gold will be safely in the hands of BBC Studios. I wouldn’t be surprised if Discovery chose to rebrand or drop at least one of their channels. Part of the value for Discovery is gaining at least one more DTT slot, is not two, and if there is a content deal in that the existing programmes on the likes of Yesterday are retained post BBC sale.
DV
DVB Cornwall
S4C Programmes on iPlayer EXCLUDE commercials including the livestream. A steady caption directs viewers to the S4C Clic service during advertising breaks.

22 days later

ZE
zeebre12
If Discovery acquire the UKTV lifestyle channels could we see Discovery launching the HGTV brand here in the UK replacing Home?
What do you think will happen regarding the UKTV channels going to BBC and Discovery. Do Discovery really need this many channels in the UK, they'll have loads with a lot of the same type of channels?

Newer posts