The Newsroom

BBC World/BBC News - Technical Issues Again??

20th October 2018 (October 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NI
nigel
Clearly but no excuse for a washed out background.

It looks awful.
UT
Upload TV
Opening of the 10 bulletin from Millbank
IR
irisscanner
Can anyone tell me what happened to the 5? I take it Studio C was also having problems?
RN
Rolling News
Can anyone tell me what happened to the 5? I take it Studio C was also having problems?

The 5 came from Studio C as normal and AFAIK there were no issues other than the weather breaking down at 17:34.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The bigger issue with the background is that it doesn't loop properly. For example, during the intro to David Sillitto's report, it jump cuts back.
RN
Rolling News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0h7A56GMY

I actually think that that studio really suits the Six and the Ten so much better than Studio E. With a few adjustments obviously, I wouldn't be against it becoming a permanent arrangement in the future, if only to make the 2 most senior bulletins of the day more distinguished from the One and the News Channel. It will never happen obviously but it's a nice thought.
AS
AlexS
AR was working for the papers.
I wonder if the reason for the ten coming from Millbank was to do with content made for the bulletins already being on that server and some of the production staff already being there rather than a technical need.
NI
nigel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0h7A56GMY

I actually think that that studio really suits the Six and the Ten so much better than Studio E. With a few adjustments obviously, I wouldn't be against it becoming a permanent arrangement in the future, if only to make the 2 most senior bulletins of the day more distinguished from the One and the News Channel. It will never happen obviously but it's a nice thought.

Static shots and a fuzzy background? Really?
WO
Worzel
Was it not also the 2008 opening titles rather than the version of the current sequence used when presenting on location?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEyrsc8IfY

No it was definitely the 2013 on location titles.

Yes, the one where the music is too long to fit the visuals.
TC
TCOTV
If I am not mistaken the screens in millbank are brand new. So they must be fully HD? If so then I guess the reason why the background is fuzzy is because the image/video visual is not of a high quality or upscaled?

I wonder if millbank studio with the big screen is a sign of what a new BBC News studio would look like. I do like the desk but not sure about an all screen studio.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Hang on, the real background in E is defocussed (depth of field) - isn't it likely that they have deliberately applied a blur effect?

The relatively static shots are probably to avoid parallax issues where the camera moves but the background doesn't.
WO
Worzel
TCOTV posted:
I wonder if millbank studio with the big screen is a sign of what a new BBC News studio would look like. I do like the desk but not sure about an all screen studio.

I hope not, it'll be like N6 and TC7 all over again!

Newer posts