TV Home Forum

Doctor Who (2018 onwards)

Split from Doctor Who (2015) (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
JoshX posted:
That's odd. An American thing I assume?

Initially, I thought this would be for the West Coast audience. However, even for the East Coast it was shown at 13:45, which isn't prime time. At 10:45 on a Sunday morning for the West Coast, that was even worse.

I don't blame them for trying to rebroadcast it to capture a larger audience.

In an episode of the Big Bang Theory, Sheldon gets up really early to watch Doctor Who on BBC America. I assumed that was the time-slot it was normally shown in if they were referencing it as such.
JA
JAS84
JAS84 posted:
ITV have spoiler scheduled Celebrity Chase against Doctor Who next week, and no, it's not a repeat. So Bradley Walsh will be on two channels at the same time! Mad

Saw a lot of criticism of this on Twitter but to be fair to ITV, Celebrity Chase has been in that timeslot running into the X Factor results show for years now. If it works for them should they be obliged to move it?
Well, don't expect it to get as many viewers as in previous years... at least not live anyway. I'm sure 5 Gold Rings will have seen a sharp drop off on the final episode.
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
Criticism on Twitter? You surprise me...
Have they no heard of time-shifting programmes - particularly apt for Dr Who...
MR
mr_vivian
JAS84 posted:
ITV have spoiler scheduled Celebrity Chase against Doctor Who next week, and no, it's not a repeat. So Bradley Walsh will be on two channels at the same time! Mad

Well for me it will be Doctor Who first and since you've mentioned this I'll set the Chase on record.

I actually like Bradley Walsh more now than I did 10 years ago. I can't explain why. Maybe it was his attempts at serious acting? But I thought he was much better at being serious in Doctor Who last sunday.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I notice the production credits read "BBC Studios for BBC" with no mention of BBC Wales. Is this a new thing?
DA
davidhorman
Maybe it was his attempts at serious acting?

8 series (so far; it's on hiatus, and sometimes They Come Back) as the lead in a gritty ITV police procedural is a bit more than an attempt. And if you ever saw him in The Sarah Jane Adventures you'd know he can do downright terrifying just as well as comedy and gritty drama.

If anything, I find him more convincing on Doctor Who than I do on The Chase !
Last edited by davidhorman on 9 October 2018 9:46pm
CL
clh
I notice the production credits read "BBC Studios for BBC" with no mention of BBC Wales. Is this a new thing?

It looked a mess. Stuff normally just says "BBC Studios"
TR
TROGGLES
Had a bit of time to plough through all the reviews, social media reports and the rest, I think the conclusion is that it is a classic piece of PR over content.

If you tell people often enough that its good and inferring if you say its bad you are sexist/racist/ anything-ist, you will con them for a while. But it wasn't really a classic episode, more a comedic parody.

In the 70's the Six Million Dollar Man led to the Bionic woman spin-off - especially written for a female lead role. Two lots of adventures from one franchise. But of course, the good old BBC had to bu@@er everything up by causing controversy & splitting a fan base. I wonder how long it will be before the activists realise they've been conned?
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
JAS84 posted:

Why is that spoiler scheduling? You either want to watch a gameshow or you want to watch Dr Who. Completely different genres. You'd have to be an ardent Bradley Walsh fan to be torn over that clash.
BA
bilky asko
Had a bit of time to plough through all the reviews, social media reports and the rest, I think the conclusion is that it is a classic piece of PR over content.

If you tell people often enough that its good and inferring if you say its bad you are sexist/racist/ anything-ist, you will con them for a while. But it wasn't really a classic episode, more a comedic parody.

In the 70's the Six Million Dollar Man led to the Bionic woman spin-off - especially written for a female lead role. Two lots of adventures from one franchise. But of course, the good old BBC had to bu@@er everything up by causing controversy & splitting a fan base. I wonder how long it will be before the activists realise they've been conned?

I know it's not Eurovision time, but that's a load of tommyrot.
UK
UKnews

I’ve yet to watch the episode but when I do, if I enjoy it I’ll remind myself that I’ve just been “conned” by a load of “activists” and that I really didn’t like it.

Thanks for taking the time to dismiss anyone who did enjoy it as incapable of forming their own opinions and just falling victim to a PR stunt. Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t meant that everyone who did is wrong, simply that they disagree with you, if that is indeed allowed.
DA
davidhorman
This reminds of a video someone put on YouTube which boiled down to "Why Sherlock isn't as good as everyone thinks it is" which was longer than an actual episode of Sherlock and went into mind-numbing detail as to how and why you, the viewer, were an idiot for even mildly enjoying it.

So, how do you tell the difference between a "genuine" review and one written by a branwashed PC lefty feminist liberal hipster? Are the ones that agree with you the genuine ones?

It's fine not to enjoy it but that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.
NovaProdTV, Neil__ and DE88 gave kudos

Newer posts