The Newsroom

The RTE News Thread

Discussion about RTE News (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
I have been asking that about the (quite frankly bizzare) 2006 intro since 2006! (And I’m not sure what they were thinking with the chocolate brown either) But at this stage it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie.
RD
rdd Founding member
Incidentally one of the Six One intros they missed out on is on this page -

http://www.dailyedge.ie/rte-news-1373744-Mar2014/%3famp=1

That doesn’t have the Six One intro previous to that, but it does have the News Extra intro of the same period, which is similar.

Edit: There was one other Six One intro before that - the original - but I can’t find it anywhere and can’t remember what it was even like.
Last edited by rdd on 5 October 2018 7:22am
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:
Incidentally one of the Six One intros they missed out on is on this page -

http://www.dailyedge.ie/rte-news-1373744-Mar2014/%3famp=1

That doesn’t have the Six One intro previous to that, but it does have the News Extra intro of the same period, which is similar.

Edit: There was one other Six One intro before that - the original - but I can’t find it anywhere and can’t remember what it was even like.

This is the intro to the One O Clock News in 1990, the Six One and the 9 O Clock were exactly the same, they just changed the wording in the Studio and in Graphics.

This Verison of RTE News was introduced in October 1989
CH
chinamug
Looking at old RTE guides the Six One was introduced in October 1988 and at that time RTE News used to change it's studio and graphics roughly every two years around the last week of September, the first week of October. This was usually the time when the station was waking up from it's 5 or so month Summer holidays when All home productions were cut back including the News. You really only had a full RTE Service from October till Easter, the rest of the time it was 5,00pm starts and News shows either getting shorter or being dropped entirely.

Anyway we can be fairly certain that the look of all RTE bulletins was the same so any opening from 1988 would have been the same for the Six One and the 9 O Clock News. There was no 1 O Clock until Autumn 1989. This is the best I can find online which is Parts of RTE News and weather from New Years Eve 1988... It's missing the Opening titles but you get a feel for the spartan studio and presentation. Obviously, a lot of this is from memory which might be playing tricks Very Happy

Last edited by chinamug on 5 October 2018 3:01pm
IR
irisscanner
Speaking of old RTÉ bulletins. I see "News on Two" is back. Only this time it's on Virgin Media Two instead of RTÉ 2.
RD
rdd Founding member
[quote=“Chinamug”]
Anyway we can be fairly certain that the look of all RTE bulletins was the same so any opening from 1988 would have been the same for the Six One and the 9 O Clock News.
[/quote]

This is the only clip I can find of what came before Six One. Newstime went out at 6:01pm and was IIRC about 30 minutes long. (But it came right after an RTÉ News bulletin at 5:40pm - with the Angelus in the middle) I actually remember these titles more clearly than the ones in the One clip above. Noteworthy is that it doesn’t use the “classic” RTE News theme and a completely different title sequence to what other news bulletins used at the time.

The 1988 titles are interesting in that the theme is a rearrangement of the classic RTE News theme of the 1980s. It was the last look to sport that theme, then, as it was replaced with a rather triumphant theme in the next look, which appears to have come in around 1990 or 91. As you say RTE News - a bit like RTE One itself - changed looks very regularly between 1988 and about 2006 - about every 2/3 years, although the green machine (the virtual set they didn’t copy from the BBC) lasted a bit longer.

Now here’s a question - before 1988 my memory and stuff on YouTube (well, not many had VHS in Ireland in those days) grows thinner. When did the classic look and theme come in? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the start of colour; but any ideas?
CI
cityprod
Quote:
rdd posted:
[quote=“Chinamug”]
Anyway we can be fairly certain that the look of all RTE bulletins was the same so any opening from 1988 would have been the same for the Six One and the 9 O Clock News.

This is the only clip I can find of what came before Six One. Newstime went out at 6:01pm and was IIRC about 30 minutes long. (But it came right after an RTÉ News bulletin at 5:40pm - with the Angelus in the middle) I actually remember these titles more clearly than the ones in the One clip above. Noteworthy is that it doesn’t use the “classic” RTE News theme and a completely different title sequence to what other news bulletins used at the time.

It's different, but it is from the same suite of music, "Classical Action" that RTE had as their theme at the time. Notably it's a synthesizer version, rather than the orchestral version that they used on other news output.
JK
JKDerry
The summer scale back was eased a little bit from the mid 1980s onward. Typically from 1982 to 1988, RTE One would come from the air each day around 2.30pm, sometimes 2.00pm. RTE 2 would be the worse for wear, staying off air until at least 5.00pm.

Weekends were usually the best chance to have an all day proper service from RTE One, starting around 9.00am on Saturdays and 10.30am on Sundays.

The summer scale back in the 1980s meant usually at 4.00pm/4.30pm start for RTE One and a 5.45pm start for RTE 2.

Key change was the launch of their One O'Clock News in October 1989, which meant RTE One had to be on the air from around midday. Network 2 from 1988 always started at 2.30pm, usually with Bosco.

1992/1993 was the start of morning television on RTE One, usually at 9.30am, and linked together from one of the three continuity studios, possibly Studios 6 or 7 at Donnybrook, with bought in US soaps, repeats of RTE programmes, especially the previous Friday's Late Late Show ate up two hours on a Monday morning and news summaries on the hour.

Euronews from 7.00am was the norm from 1996, and 24 hours broadcasting commenced in 1998.
JK
JKDerry
Also remember RTE News has always been produced from Studio 3 at RTE, which has to be one the world's smallest news studios used by a national broadcaster.

When it opened on December 31st 1961, it was just 728 Sq Ft, this was however increased in the 2009 redevelopment of the studio, doubling the size to close on 1,400 Sq Ft, but still way small.

In 2019, it will be interesting to see what RTE do with the relaunched RTE News and re-structured Studio 3.

One of my memories of Irish television is the news summaries done from the broom cupboard studio. It really is truly appalling. It looks like it was done from a desk in the RTE canteen. Lighting is appalling, no autocue, rarely did we see any film inserts and you could sometimes hear the newsroom in the background. Nell McCafferty, the Derry born Irish journalist used to say it was like watching a news bulletin broadcasting from the old USSR, from their bomb proof basement studios during the cold war.

The news summaries back in the 1980s and 1990s were simply the latest RTE Radio 1 News bulletin, ripped off the printer, handed to the newsreader to read out on RTE One or Network 2. For example, the late news summary on RTE One in say 1992 would usually air at 11.45pm, this meant it would be the 11.00pm RTE Radio 1 news bulletin, handed to Eileen Dunne to read 45 minutes later, with maybe an update to the script in case any breaking news occurred in the 45 minute period.
DE
DE88
rdd posted:
For no reason other than to keep their audience for an extra commercial break, I imagine. But you the question really shouldn’t be why they maintain it, but why there shouldn’t be a late bulletin on other days of the week - 9:30pm is very early to be ending news coverage, although I suppose Prime Time (when it’s not in its long form documentary format) can cover breaking stories while it’s on air.

It is possibly what I have always expected about RTE News, they regard radio news bulletins as superior. This is why both RTE Radio 1 and 2FM have news bulletins on the hour every hour.

It all comes down to cash. They don't want to spend the money on the extra bulletin later at night. The Friday Bulletin makes them cash because of the extra ad breaks, but the other late bulletins were not so they dropped them. It is true in the past that the radio was regarded as superior to TV but that attitude died out in the 90's. The News service on TV is just not as well funded or managed as it used to be. 20 years ago when 24 hour TV started they had a middle of the Night summary usually around 2.30am Shocked

You really have to question RTE's Management on decisions made over the last 15 years. It's bad news when your commercial competitor (who really doesn't care about news) puts out more news and current affairs weekdays. Obviously in a far more tabloid manner, but it's still put out.

Well, there was no News Extra at all last night - straight to the weather after the Late Late, and then Presumed Innocent.
CH
chinamug
DE88 posted:

Well, there was no News Extra at all last night - straight to the weather after the Late Late, and then Presumed Innocent.

That's not unusual in recent years where they drop a bulletin and go straight to the weather. Obviously with no explanation. It appears to be on the schedule again next Friday Night at 11.55, now that doesn't mean it will go out... That's the service that's supported by your licence fee Laughing
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:
[

Now here’s a question - before 1988 my memory and stuff on YouTube (well, not many had VHS in Ireland in those days) grows thinner. When did the classic look and theme come in? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the start of colour; but any ideas?

I am relying on Memory here myself but they were definitely using this style of Music and lettering in 1984 and I'm fairly certain as early as 1981. There were a lot of Newsflashes in the early 80's and the RTE Newsflash Card is burnt into my memory. (which used the RTE News 1980's font.)

There were Newsflashes broadcast where it was just a blue screen and the word Newsflash in the bottom left-hand corner before going to the studio. They used to go into Commercials that way for a time as well, Just showing a blue screen with the title of the programme and RTE 1 typed in the Left-hand Corner,

Newer posts