The Newsroom

Sky News Business Australia closing

Being replaced on Foxtel by a channel called Your Money on October 1st (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Canada's Sun News Network was sometimes mockingly known as "Fox News North," although it wasn't quite as strident and one-sided as its American counterpart. It didn't do well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_News_Network
WW
WW Update
Here's the launch of Your Money:

MA
mark Founding member
Nice studio. I bet no-one's allowed to walk on that shiny floor...
MO
Mouseboy33
For any Australian news/info channel, that really looks good. The new 9 News sets look good. But they are part owners of this channel. They spent some money. Especially since the channel it came from was seemingly an offshoot of the SkyNews Australia channel. Still dont like the name. I know they are trying to appeal to the average viewing. But frankly I think they leaned to heavily toward that viewer when choosing a name. Will the average business viewer or will they will stick with Bloomberg or CNBC?

The set seems to have been designed by the Al Jazeerza set designer. Has a similar look and feel. Hmmm?
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 1 October 2018 7:53pm - 2 times in total
MO
Mouseboy33
I knew that set looked familiar. They bought the old AL JAZEERA AMERICA set and had it shipped to Australia
CH
Charles
It looks very similar, but I have my doubts that it's the same exact set. The video wall is seamless unlike the AJAM one, it has a little more of a curve, and the desk is definitely different.

My money (get it?) is on them either commissioning the same designer or they asked their designer to do a Control+C of the AJAM set, or both.

Ah, AJAM. What a nice, little, yet flawed news channel. I honestly had forgotten about it. I wish I recorded more of it off my cable box as there's very little online video evidence of that channel's existence.
MO
Mouseboy33
Hmmm maybe. But AJAM may have sold off the tech parts (IE Screens). But it is very similar. The desk could have been easily modified. The end sections lopped off and the ALJ logo removed from the centre. But as you said they could have commissioned the same designer and they pulled a stock set design. It would be cheaper than getting a completely new one designed and created. Plus as AJAM is no longer on air, no one would notice or care if they used the same design.
RK
Rkolsen
It looks very similar, but I have my doubts that it's the same exact set. The video wall is seamless unlike the AJAM one, it has a little more of a curve, and the desk is definitely different.

My money (get it?) is on them either commissioning the same designer or they asked their designer to do a Control+C of the AJAM set, or both.

Ah, AJAM. What a nice, little, yet flawed news channel. I honestly had forgotten about it. I wish I recorded more of it off my cable box as there's very little online video evidence of that channel's existence.

Hmmm maybe. But AJAM may have sold off the tech parts (IE Screens). But it is very similar. The desk could have been easily modified. The end sections lopped off and the ALJ logo removed from the centre. But as you said they could have commissioned the same designer and they pulled a stock set design. It would be cheaper than getting a completely new one designed and created. Plus as AJAM is no longer on air, no one would notice or care if they used the same design.

My guess is that it’s brand new. AJAM has been closed for two years, I bet Al Jazeera wouldn’t want to deal with the pain of storing a very niche set (that no cable network or national would touch as its used and not American enough) and one that they have no purpose for. It’s not like there’s a huge market for set pieces or designers.
BR
Brekkie
Looks nice but can't see the channel being profitable in the long term - which is rather ironic really.
JA
Jamesypoo
Not that new, seems it was introduced in November 2017 for Sky News Business https://mediaweek.com.au/sky-news-business-news-corp-business-hub/

Brekkie and WW Update gave kudos
ST
stuartfanning
Looks nice but can't see the channel being profitable in the long term - which is rather ironic really.

Yes though it has to be asked how can a channel that covers the Australian Stock Market minute by minute during the day survive, when one covering the whole of Europe never mind the UK can't. CNBC Europe can't even cover the European close of market properly these days, although Bloomberg does a bit better job.
MO
Mouseboy33
nice Find Jamesypoo. So clearly they just went back to the ALJAM set designer and requested the same design.

Newer posts