TV Home Forum

Technical Question about faint “ghost” audio..

“Pre-print” seems to be the correct terminology! (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
ttt
ttt posted:

Good grief. Permanently on the output !? (During ad breaks too ?) The only permanent tones in that era
were transmitter status/anti piracy stuff up at 23 kHz, so totally inaudible (by humans !)

Whatever, I'd have pursued that via the IBA until it had been sorted. Totally unacceptable

Yes it was permanent. It was there from when the channel opened as well - I noticed it almost immediately but was told I was making it up as a kid(!). I blamed C4 for many years but it must have been either TTT or IBA transmitters responsible. And yes it was present on the ads as well, although there it was drowned out by the tape noise of Tyne Tees'

Was it on Pontop or Bilsdale ( or both ?)

Both IIRC. I lived in both areas at different times and it was there throughout.
TT
ttt
Leading on from some of that... was some noise on 1" tape sources considered acceptable back then? Sometimes it was really quite loud - especially on the break bumpers - and wasn't the usual tape hiss or 50/100Hz hum either.

Here are a couple of examples:

https://youtu.be/lRRwORA1-ic
https://youtu.be/aLR5yJK4hPo

Note the array of different buzzes detectable even over the VHS buzz...
Last edited by ttt on 27 September 2018 12:07pm - 2 times in total
TC
TonyCurrie
At STV we used carts for playing some slide commercials (although most were live reads), Scotlandia (at start of day), Lunchtime and late night news in/out music and the national Anthem. I have most of these carts still!
MA
Markymark
ttt posted:
ttt posted:

A semi-related audio query; Channel 4 in the TTT region was broadcast with a very feint tone (possibly 400Hz) on the audio throughout the 1980s and into the 90s, which only ended when C4 started putting out their own adverts in 1993. Did any other regions have this, and was there a reason for it? YTV's C4 feed lacked this noise.

Good grief. Permanently on the output !? (During ad breaks too ?) The only permanent tones in that era
were transmitter status/anti piracy stuff up at 23 kHz, so totally inaudible (by humans !)

Whatever, I'd have pursued that via the IBA until it had been sorted. Totally unacceptable

Yes it was permanent. It was there from when the channel opened as well - I noticed it almost immediately but was told I was making it up as a kid(!). I blamed C4 for many years but it must have been either TTT or IBA transmitters responsible. And yes it was present on the ads as well, although there it was drowned out by the tape noise of Tyne Tees's ACR players.

If you'd reported it to the IBA at Winchester, they'd have leapt on the problem, and had it sorted within hours, whoever was to blame. 0962 822444 almost made it onto my 'Friends and Family' discount list !

I'm amazed however no one at the IBA ROC at Emley noticed the problem !
MA
Markymark
At STV we used carts for playing some slide commercials (although most were live reads),

Did the IBA allow live reads of commercials (by your post Tony, I assume the answer is yes !)
TT
ttt
ttt posted:

Yes it was permanent. It was there from when the channel opened as well - I noticed it almost immediately but was told I was making it up as a kid(!). I blamed C4 for many years but it must have been either TTT or IBA transmitters responsible. And yes it was present on the ads as well, although there it was drowned out by the tape noise of Tyne Tees's ACR players.

If you'd reported it to the IBA at Winchester, they'd have leapt on the problem, and had it sorted within hours, whoever was to blame. 0962 822444 almost made it onto my 'Friends and Family' discount list !

I guess from the fact that it lasted so long, that (a) no-one, the viewing public, the IBA, C4 or TTT, gave a monkey's about it, and (b) it must have been meeting minimum broadcast standards (as the idea that no-one but Si-Co and me noticed it, is completely absurd).

Hence my initial thought that it must have been deliberate in some way!
TT
ttt
At STV we used carts for playing some slide commercials (although most were live reads),

Did the IBA allow live reads of commercials (by your post Tony, I assume the answer is yes !)

Several companies did this (including some as big as YTV), but I'd have thought the practice would have been terribly old-hat by the 80s.
MA
Markymark
ttt posted:
ttt posted:

I guess from the fact that it lasted so long, that (a) no-one, the viewing public, the IBA, C4 or TTT, gave a monkey's about it, and (b) it must have been meeting minimum broadcast standards (as the idea that no-one but Si-Co and me noticed it, is completely absurd).

Hence my initial thought that it must have been deliberate in some way!

I don’t think C4 would have been impressed, if they’d discovered it !

Ironic, as C4 and TTT didn’t hang around replacing the naff analogue audio circuit from Newcastle back to Charlotte St for The Tube, with Sound in Syncs on the vision circuit ( Back then only the Beeb routinely used SiS on contribution circuits) C4 used SiS from the outset on distribution of course
TC
TonyCurrie

Yes!
CO
Colm
Live reads of commercial copy were still in use on UTV in the mid-1990s.

Newer posts