TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I think the audio element is quite strong - almost a continuity between the old and the new.
AS
Asa Admin
Must. Not. Click. The. Link. Ahh, sod it... love them! Fresh, creative, beautiful (how good will they be in HD?!). Fingers crossed for the surrounding presentation.

Puts BBC One to shame.
TI
TIGHazard
When was the last time the Dalek ident was used? BBC2 NI just used it going into Letterbox
CA
Cavan
When was the last time the Dalek ident was used? BBC2 NI just used it going into Letterbox

Last time I saw it used was some time last year. It’s certainly one of the rarest ones, along with B&W Copper Cutout.
VM
VMPhil
Asa posted:
Must. Not. Click. The. Link. Ahh, sod it... love them! Fresh, creative, beautiful (how good will they be in HD?!). Fingers crossed for the surrounding presentation.

Puts BBC One to shame.

Asa, what time will you be on Liquid News tonight to share your opinion on the new idents? Wink
DV
DVB Cornwall
Asa posted:

Puts BBC One to shame.

Have played the 1080p YouTube clip via my connected 43in Bravia, they all look splendid, still not liking yellow duster and purple puddles though.
WH
Whataday Founding member
That article ends with:

Quote:
Famous creative shop Aardman will deliver full animations in the coming months.

Not sure how to take that. Do they mean Aardman have made these, and these are stings and the full animations will follow? Surely not, but what else could it mean?

"will deliver MORE animations" perhaps?
A former member
I believe it was a three way: Superunion, Aardman and BBC Creative. Reminds me of that lonely island song...
WH
Whataday Founding member
The weird thing is that the new idents don't actually feel BBC-like, they feel more European and fresh (especially the music), not some cheap live-action ident anyone could make.

They only feel more European because European stations have been commissioning idents that UK stations should have started doing 15 years ago. A lot of European pres comes from British based design houses.
Woodpecker and paul_hadley gave kudos
LS
LoganStuff
Quite excited for this new rebranding, obviously Two has been needing something fresh ever since the Windows package was butchered into the ground. Happy to see they're having one last tribute to the 90s idents before finally sending them back into the vault, although they might bring them back in a few years for the BBC's 100th anniversary or something similar. Who knows.
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
BF
BFGArmy
The new idents are brilliant - simple, beautiful and a flexible concept and it feels like a lot of time and effort has gone into making them look good (whereas the same can't be said for Oneness). One of the best rebrands in ages.

The only ones I'd say I'm not as keen on are the orange furry thing and the blobs - but apart from that they all look fantastic.

Now for BBC One to get new idents - the sooner the better.

Newer posts