Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
RO
rob Founding member
I'd really like Sky to get back to showing the CBS evening news like they did for quite a few years at 12.30am with Dan Rather and then Scott Pelly. I miss the opportunity to catch that at the end of the day. A Stateside perspective is always interesting.

That won't happen, as CBS are no longer affiliated with Sky News. If it does happen, it'll be on the BBC News Channel.
NY
NYTV
I'd really like Sky to get back to showing the CBS evening news like they did for quite a few years at 12.30am with Dan Rather and then Scott Pelly. I miss the opportunity to catch that at the end of the day. A Stateside perspective is always interesting.

To date, I don't believe that either Sky or BBC air any stateside news broadcasts anymore. Also, Channel 5 is a relative to CBS as it is owned by Viacom and both Viacom and CBS are under the same ownership. So should any network were to play CBS News programming it would either be BBC News or Channel 5.
BB
BBI45
rob posted:

That won't happen, as CBS are no longer affiliated with Sky News. If it does happen, it'll be on the BBC News Channel.

I know this doesn't count at TV, but the main American newscasts often upload audio podcast versions a couple of hours after being broadcast on the East Coast. You can also watch them online a few hours after broadcast (although the time difference might prove problematic for that).

CI
cityprod
BBI45 posted:
rob posted:

I know this doesn't count at TV, but the main American newscasts often upload audio podcast versions a couple of hours after being broadcast on the East Coast. You can also watch them online a few hours after broadcast (although the time difference might prove problematic for that).

Most of the podcast versions don't go up until after the West Coast broadcast, at about 3am. Some actually have video versions too.
BR
Brekkie

Are Sky affiliated with anyone in the US now?
LH
lhx1985
Do they not have a deal with ABC?
TR
TheTravelcard
Although I agree it would be more interesting for a fair amount of viewers to have a US bulletin instead of another press preview replay in the small hours, I would say that a good amount of American-led bulletins are available in the UK, so I'm not surprised that Sky has chosen not to retain any US bulletin. I'm thinking of Beyond 100 Days on BBC Four, PBS NewsHour on PBS America UK, New Day, The Lead, Anderson Cooper 360, Cuomo Primetime, CNN Tonight on CNN International and NBC Nightly News on CNBC. That together certainly satisfied demand... and personally... the day Sky News starts rebroadcasting Fox News, I'm gone!

Back to the main conversation, I agree that the overall presentation is quite uninspiring and difficult to engage with. I normally watch TV news now at my desk, in the morning/evening "properly" or on my phone/tablet when on the train. When you dip in half-way through a bulletin, the BBC always have astons telling you what's happening, the business channels have news sidebars, F24 and AJE have schedules which mean it's obvious if its news or features but Sky it takes a good few minutes to work out what's what - the on-screen graphics all look the same - the newsbar is always yellow even if no breaking news and especially if I have multiple screens/devices in front of me - it's not great. As others had mentioned, it is a shame as some of their reporting is outstanding, and correspondents are truly brave, delivering real insight. I don't think next week's changes will lead to any improvements on this, but at least by making each block slightly more distinct, perhaps more creative segments and graphics and less report-bland studio-report-head to head debate with presenter desperate to "trigger" guests-coming up-break which mean people like me give up.

On a final note, 9-10am weekdays needs to return to being "proper news". I find it bizarre that this hour has no full straight-up news bulletin in the UK. Also, sort out 7-10pm which are all just bog standard hours despite their attempts at branding, nothing unique?!
DE
derek500

Over its lifetime Sky News has had contracts with ABC, NBC and CBS and simulcast their 6.30pm bulletins. In the early days they used to do bottom of the hour simulcasts of the US breakfast shows at lunchtime. Used to love watching those.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Can someone get Faisal Islam a new umbrella?
:-(
A former member
There is still old tvam, scottish tv, grampian one still around. That brolly is far to young to be replaced 😄
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Isn't it broadcasting tradition to appear on screen with an umbrella showing a previous logo or look? Wink

Newer posts