Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Nothing beats this...

CI
cityprod
It's worth watching the Bristol version, being broadcast live on dailymotion, as I would accept that as a format for local TV in this country. Sadly, Ofcom won't even consider any further local TV stations, even though the Made model does seem to be the way to go.

That's if you get people applying for the franchise promising Made-esque content then turning into That's within a few months. All of the local tv channels promised the earth at the time then most couldn't deliver after all, which would doubtlessly happen again if they were to offer new licences.

Considering they employ only 3 or 4 people to produce the short video segments that they use, and those segments are usually about 2 minutes long, that's not a lot to promise. That's TV are only producing about 30 minutes of content daily as a single programme, but they just roll it continuously for six hours, and it takes more people to produce. The Made model also uses viewer submitted footage, and some segments are updated weekly, like the cinema segment.

Honestly, if you haven't seen how the former Made TV stations do local TV now, then take a look. I think it works much better.
BR
Brekkie
I wonder if the licence fee funding to get these stations off the ground actually backfired massively in creating a stable local network. It is no secret Thats TV focused on milking the BBC coffers rather than creating a product attractive to local advertisers and I wonder actually had these stations had to be self susraining whether they'd have had more viable long term plans.
Last edited by Brekkie on 15 September 2018 2:14pm
CI
cityprod
I wonder if the licence fee funding to getvthese stations off the ground actually backfired massively in creating a stable local network. It is no secret Thats TV focused on milking the BBC coffers rather than creating a product attractive to local advertisers and I wonder actually had these stations had to be self susraining whether they'd have had more viable long term plans.

I think you're right. It generated a false sense of security, and maybe there was an idea floating around that licence fee funding might always be there, when that wasn't the case. As such, they made promises that they were just not able to keep.
JA
james-2001
It was once the licence fee money went that the quality nosedived and they became channels of old movies, teleshopping and looped news.
LH
lhx1985
The quality on That's was already on the 'least allowable effort' move before the BBC money dried up.
Allowing That's to get away with all they have over the last few years has enabled local TV producers to use them as a benchmark now they are in lean times.
LO
Londoner
Former Meridian boss Robin Britton is now heading up KMTV
https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/former-itv-news-executive-to-take-leading-role-at-dedicated-kent-tv-channel/
DB
dbl

Nice to see not all local TV start ups are in vein.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wonder if the licence fee funding to getvthese stations off the ground actually backfired massively in creating a stable local network. It is no secret Thats TV focused on milking the BBC coffers rather than creating a product attractive to local advertisers and I wonder actually had these stations had to be self susraining whether they'd have had more viable long term plans.

I think you're right. It generated a false sense of security, and maybe there was an idea floating around that licence fee funding might always be there, when that wasn't the case. As such, they made promises that they were just not able to keep.

My experience was that they were all too aware that the licence fee money was going to stop and that it would be a struggle when it did.
PC
p_c_u_k
It's desperate, but there just isn't the appetite for hyper local TV. Even local newspapers and radio are both struggling.

The fact STV couldn't make it work, when we're constantly told Scotland is a "special case" ("You can't launch Capital FM, Heart or Smooth Radio in Scotland!" Er, you can.) even with the might and resources of STV behind them, it speaks volumes.

Time to let go.

Scotland is still to some degree a special case. Radio Clyde (and other Bauer stations) remain dominant in the market and Heart really doesn't do as it should. However, Capital and Smooth have done perfectly well.

However, while Scotland may moan about shows being too London-centric at times and while there is definite merit in something like a Scottish Six, I'm to be convinced there's the appetite for an entire channel launched from scratch. 90% of the time Scotland is quite happy to watch the same programming as England.

The other problem for a commercial station is basic population size. Scotland as a totality has a smaller population than Yorkshire. That's quite a small amount of people to target when you're only going to get so many people moving along from the main two channels over to your local station, especially when all you have to offer (because obviously there isn't a Hollywood budget for any such station) is The One Show without a budget, a football show when Clyde has already cornered that market, news and reruns of Taggart.

I suspect it's a similar case in most places. No matter how strong their regional identity, parts of England are not going to flock to these local channels when they have nothing exclusive to show but local news, which if you live in a big city is covered by the BBC and ITV anyway.

Fair play to those who are making a go of it by expanding their venture to provide other services, but it was a stupid idea.
:-(
A former member
Funny thing is, is getting the right balance, Grampian and STV used to know to get it right. p_c_u_k is right, people up north dont mind the same programs, ( there a rew strange people that want all the english crap) What people want is plenty of Network content while putting in random scottish show which actually got very high ratings. Alas those days are gone and that whats caused all the trouble. IF STV could put drama or big entertainment show it might solve the issues.

Heart in Scotland is dire and its as bad as Scot Fm days, most people up here want the bannter, Capital and smooth are no mainstream there on the outer rims of content, Ie 12-22 just want the hits and nothing else ie Ipod on radio. I think the new local tv for scotland will die on its arse.
JM
JamesM0984
I wouldn't say any of Global's brands are "12-22" - Smooth is very much for over-50s for example. Forth and Clyde still do very well. but I always attribute that to the fact that GWR never happened up there. As a result, you hadn't had 10+ years of that heavily researched, heavily produced sound they were known for on their local licenses, so the transition to Heart wasn't that significant. The switch from Real Radio Scotland to Heart Scotland though would probably have always been a lot more jarring, no matter how well Global handled it.

Newer posts