« Topics
JamesM0984
Central (East) East Midlands Today
You have to broadcast the semi final you compete or vote in, and the grand final regardless of whether or not you qualify. However, there's no rule on what channel it airs on, which is why the semi finals are ghettoised to BBC Four. (The BBC also have special dispensation to hack the semis to pieces, hence they opt out of otherwise-mandatory content as well as commercial breaks.) I actually think if they were on BBC One they'd get a sizeable audience; I'd eat my pants if it didn't beat Holby's average for example.

But it wouldn't be beneficial for the BBC to relegate either Saturday show to BBC Two. The only reason we still enter and participate despite our appalling run of form is because at worst it's a guaranteed 6-7m* for Saturday night for the outlay of one episode of Holby or Casualty, and this year it beat BGT for the first time since 2011.

In 2011 the star power of Blue & Jedward pulled in a record 9.5m, with Justin Timberlake no doubt helping to deliver a cool 8.5 in 2016. Now SVT's production that year was stunning, but it's clear to see that the vehicle of a major international star pushed the headline world figure up. I know it's a controversial point amongst the hardcore fans but I'd have no problem with the likes of Britney, Beyonce, Gaga etc. during the interval act, because it would benefit the greater good ultimately.

One thing that really hurt RTP's show is the 40+ minute voting window was insanely boring. Now I know not every broadcaster has the talent or expertise of SVT but they had a 40 minute window too and if you sit and watch the whole lot back, it doesn't feel like 40 minutes at all. I saw it all on the Friday night at Jury Final, suffice to say Saturday night I went straight to the bar as soon as the first of three (three!) recaps fired.
Whataday9,845 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
A glaringly old ITV logo there.

I didn't even know ITV was part of the EBU. Learn something new every day.

ITV, STV, Channel 4 and S4C are EBU members via UKIB (UK Independent Broadcasting). Their EBU membership abbreviations are UKIB/ITV, UKIB/STV etc. The ITV Plc regions are also members, but as part of ITV so are abbreviated as UKIB/ITV/ANG, UKIB/ITV/CEN etc For some reason Grampian still has its own, UKIB/STVN.

(in fact you can also spot an STV logo in that EBU ident)

ITV aired Junior Eurovision for the first three years with the inaugural contest screened on ITV1 (and subsequently ITV2). They were intended to host the second year in Manchester but pulled out due to poor ratings. I believe the contest was due to be hosted by Mark Durden Smith and Tara Palmer Tomkinson so we perhaps dodged a bullet there.

S4C is entering Wales into Junior Eurovision this year, and many say they are gearing up to place a Welsh entry into the main contest.
Steve Williams2,671 posts since 1 Aug 2008
This is either an incredibly easy or incredibly difficult square to circle, depending on the contracts signed between the broadcasters and the event organisers.

Basically: has the BBC got either Eurovision or the FA Cup Final on the basis that they must show them on BBC1?

In the past decade, the Beeb have shown the Olympics, the World Cup, the Premier League, the Six Nations, Formula 1, Wimbledon and The Open on BBC2 so I'm 99% certain that the Beeb have never signed a contract that demands coverage is on BBC1. Would seem rather pointless given how far down the EPG you have to go to find the sports channels.

But it's not a case of whether they have to show them on BBC1, it's the fact they want to show them on BBC1.

ITV aired Junior Eurovision for the first three years with the inaugural contest screened on ITV1 (and subsequently ITV2). They were intended to host the second year in Manchester but pulled out due to poor ratings. I believe the contest was due to be hosted by Mark Durden Smith and Tara Palmer Tomkinson so we perhaps dodged a bullet there.

Yes, straight after the first series of I'm A Celebrity Durden-Smith and Palmer-Tomkinson were a regular double act on ITV as, like now, they happily gave every star of I'm A Celebrity umpteen different vehicles. In 2003 they did a proper selection show and showed the contest live on primetime Saturday night ITV, moving Pop Idol to a teatime slot for it. Durden-Smith and Palmer-Tomkinson did the commentary and were useless at it, I remember they both completely failed to work out who'd won. And it got awful ratings and was relegated to ITV2 to see out the contract.
DE88 gave kudos
Steve Williams2,671 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Pretty sure F1 qualification and race, under the recent deal, had to be shown on BBC 1, with the couple of occasions it got moved having to have special dispensation from Mr Ecclestone.

But if it was shown on BBC2 on a "couple of occasions", clearly it didn't have to be shown on BBC1.
dosxuk4,164 posts since 22 Oct 2005
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Pretty sure F1 qualification and race, under the recent deal, had to be shown on BBC 1, with the couple of occasions it got moved having to have special dispensation from Mr Ecclestone.

But if it was shown on BBC2 on a "couple of occasions", clearly it didn't have to be shown on BBC1.

The point being that their contract said it had to be on BBC1 and they couldn't unilaterally decide to move it.