« Topics
DVB Cornwall8,330 posts since 4 Dec 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
Destination Eurovision was, surprisingly, for a contest from a country where a public selection has been rare recently, an excellently produced event. It gained significant viewers too.

I still think the BBC simply doesn't do enough mainstream music television to be able to even pull off a UK version of that.
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
I don't agree we've gone as far as we could go, if anything, Guy's left Helen some great building blocks to take things forward. Melodifestivalen UK is asking a bit much, but I certainly feel a model like France's Destination Eurovision would be attainable (which of course was produced by ITV Studios France.)

Oh sorry, I didn't make that clear enough. I mean I felt it's possible we'd gone as far as we could go under Guy's leadership. He had certainly improved things substantially in his time but it could possibly benefit from a fresh pair of eyes now.

I would love to see the BBC use the January deadzone vacated by The Voice to do a Eurovision selection show. I fear there's a reason it does something quickly on BBC2 though, which is that a) people in the UK care about Eurovision one day a year and b) they probably don't trust the public to pick something sensible.

The other remaining issue is our ideas of music staging are still in the 90s. Things have moved on.
JamesM0984
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Destination Eurovision was, surprisingly, for a contest from a country where a public selection has been rare recently, an excellently produced event. It gained significant viewers too.

I still think the BBC simply doesn't do enough mainstream music television to be able to even pull off a UK version of that.

True, and that shows on EYD. No reason why ITV Studios couldn't be commissioned to do it like TF2 did, though.

I think the reason it's still "ghettoised" may well be deliberate, so only hardcore fans will seek it out and vote more sensibly. That said, if there's no novelty acts to begin with, there's no issue. It's the fact that the six songs are always fairly bland, "Eurovision-by-numbers" productions. Many of the Melodifestivalen tunes are just as formulaic but at least it's got some colour, EYD suffers from too much beige.

Also, the voting system is massively shrouded in secrecy compared to the contest itself, or the ultra-transparency of ITV during X Factor. The first thing they need to do is get a scoreboard and international juries in.
gottago2,824 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
Given that the BBC have been tendering a number of their shows to indies recently I’d like to see what a non BBC Studios format could look like. The BBC team has been pretty much identical in recent years, even right down to the researchers and APs, so it would be interesting to see what another company could do to mix things up and refresh the NF.

Also, the voting system is massively shrouded in secrecy compared to the contest itself, or the ultra-transparency of ITV during X Factor. The first thing they need to do is get a scoreboard and international juries in.

I find it really odd that they only announce the winner. The only explanation I can think for not revealing anything other than the winner is they find it so difficult to get people to sign up for EYD and coming last in a Eurovision national final isn’t going to look good on anyone’s CV so they hide the results to save their blushes.
JamesM0984
Central (East) East Midlands Today
I hope KAN reign it in on the hosts a bit. Since Oslo, and apart from SVT's two productions, it's either been trios or, in the case of last year, four people. I've just been watching a bit of Lisbon back and if she'd been on her own, Daniela Ruah could have potentially given Petra Mede a good run for her money - helped of course by living and working in the USA and therefore being exceptionally proficient in English, but that would have helped her to be funny. Furthermore, the amount of fawning from all four girls over cute, but clearly uninterested, men got extremely tedious.

Eurovision must be a pig of a show to write for - and has anyone other than Edward Af Silen really hit the bullseye? - but I really do think boil it down to one guy and one girl, and life will be easier. Get someone really good and they can fly solo as we've seen.
AxG and TG gave kudos
BillyH1,318 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Flights to Tel-Aviv that weekend are currently just under £200 return on Turkish Airlines, with stopovers in Istanbul. Since I began attending the contests in 2016, part of the fun has been getting there with the right combination of price and adventure - that first year I bought an Interrail ticket and travelled overland all the way from London to Stockholm via Amsterdam, Berlin, Hamburg, Copenhagen and Malmo, thankfully a month before the Brexit vote which would have made that journey way more expensive ever since.

For Kiev 2017, tickets didn't go on sale until quite late (February/March I think) so my only option was Air Baltic with a stopover in Latvia, about £100 return but I justified it as being able to see two different countries for the price of one. London-Riga was a standard-sized jet (almost empty on the way back) and Riga-Kiev was a tiny aircraft for the short extra distance.

Lisbon this year was the best, just a simple Ryanair flight to Madrid (about £20) and then the overnight train to Lisbon (about £20 again) and a cheap domestic flight to Porto on the Sunday to get a Iberia flight back to Heathrow. Madrid station and the train on the Thursday night were full of fans live-streaming the second semi, cheering on their favourites - the direct flights to and from Lisbon that weekend would have cost far more so I'm glad I found that less expensive way.

Half of me just wants to book the £200 ticket now and get it over with, but Ryanair and Wizz Air have both got me cheaply to Tel-Aviv in the past, via stopovers in Cyprus/Slovakia respectively - problem is that was in the winter months when demand is much less, and obviously not while a massive song contest is being held. Should I get myself a ticket again I'll give them a look.
Member since 26 May 2001