The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Niall Paterson taking over according to one of Jonathan's replies.
RO
rob Founding member
Yes, Niall Paterson is replacing him.
:-(
A former member
Hopefully this is a sign of a much needed refresh of the show. It’s become a bit of an irrelevance since Eamonn left.
TV
TVViewer256
Johnathan is moving to weekends and I think doing Mark Austin's slot at weekends
JW
JamesWorldNews
Johnathan is moving to weekends and I think doing Mark Austin's slot at weekends

Interesting move. I wonder if this is broadly considered as a promotion or a demotion. What’s your view and do you expect to see more changes to the line up?

In all honesty, who would you rate as your top three Sky Newsreaders?
BF
BFGArmy
Good change - Jonathan seemed a good enough newsreader but never seemed to really fit Sunrise.
Niall was brilliant in his stint filling in for Sophy Ridge and has more than deserved a role on a big show. He's been really good on the odd occasions I've seen him standing in on weekend Sunrise.

I do hope we see weekday Sunrise move back to being 2 presenters - there's not much point one presenter being there to read headlines for a few minutes an hour (I know it was sort of like that with Eamonn/Charlotte back in the day but she was more involved with the show than Jonathan has been recently with Sarah-Jane) and the weekend format works far better.
BF
BFGArmy

Interesting move. I wonder if this is broadly considered as a promotion or a demotion. What’s your view and do you expect to see more changes to the line up?

In all honesty, who would you rate as your top three Sky Newsreaders?

When Isabel Webster returns from maternity leave, you'd presume there'd be yet more anchor musical chairs since Gillian is currently in Isabel's weekend Sunrise position and previously Gillian had her own weekend slot.

In terms of Sky's best presenters, I do find I prefer the weekend team normally to weekdays (probably because I see more of the channel at the weekend than during weekday daytimes).

The ones who particularly stick out are Gillian Joseph, Anna Jones and Niall Paterson for me - they seem to get the balance just right between making the news the focus and also showing some personality. Anna Botting is great too and Tom Macleod stands out among the newbies.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 13 September 2018 11:40am
JamesWorldNews and STV Today gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
I wouldn't be surprised if Isabel gets Niall's 10-2 slot on Saturday and deps for Niall on Sunrise weekdays.
NE
Newshack16
Imagine Jonathan will do earlier than 5pm on weekends according to this tweet. Although they seem to be very changeable...!

https://twitter.com/jonathansamuels/status/1040187402235637760?s=21
RO
rob Founding member
Jonathan is to be Anna Botting and Anna Jones' most-regular deputy on Sky News at Ten.
watchingtv and London Lite gave kudos
TT
TTRWE
Have to say I'm surprised to see Jonathan Samuels get such a high profile shift. The new line-up makes some very positive changes but that is not one of them.

I think he's an excellent correspondent but I've never taken to him as a presenter, same with Sophy Ridge. Both of them have excellent skill sets, but not ideally suited to hours of rolling news presenting to me.
TV
TVViewer256
I would call it a demotion. This is ***PURE SPECULATION*** but i think it wasnt his choice. I reckon he was forced into the new role witb a decent paycheck. I mean, who wouldnt want to spend precious weekend evenings with their kids

Newer posts