Mass Media & Technology

AppleTV 4K and Apple Video Services.

New Basic Tier Subscription due Q42020 (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
I think HDR and HFR are more important than 8K if I'm honest.

... especially with the intensive colour mapping engineering being done which should reduce the bandwidth required for HDR considerably and in the not too distant future too (but please for the life of me don't ask for an explanation, it sort of makes Fermat's last theorem look childsplay).
JA
james-2001

When producers are totally obsessed with 24/25/30p at the moment even when there's no need for it, don't expect any rush for HFR any time soon, sadly.
NG
noggin Founding member

When producers are totally obsessed with 24/25/30p at the moment even when there's no need for it, don't expect any rush for HFR any time soon, sadly.

True for drama and docs, but far less so for sport. HFR is likely to be more compelling for sport. MLB on the ATV was one of the early 60p streaming apps. iPlayer is now 50p. Netflix have done 60p tests too.

Tokyo 2020 is looking as if it will be covered, at least in part, in 4320/120p.

11 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
I dread to think of the Native data rate for 4320 at 120fps uncompressed is.
JM
JamesM0984
I've got a 50" 1080p set at the moment, having shunned 4K at the time considering it overkill. I can't realistically go any bigger, and I already struggle to notice a difference between 720 and 1080, but I do clearly notice a difference between SD and HD. Amazingly, many don't notice.
NG
noggin Founding member

The irony is that the fibre connectivity proposed is effectively based round multiple 1080i-rate steams (or possibly 1080p). When you drill down into the standards it's 4320->2160->1080 streams.

At 12 bit 4:2:2 you're looking at around 100Gbs (ignoring blanking)

7680x4320x120x24...

15 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Stories in some parts of the press that BT are about to partner with Apple to bring an own brand Apple TV box to market to EE Broadband Customers to replace the existing EE product. Some suggestions also that this will be available as a secondary device for BT TV customers too. It may long-term replace the YouView box too. All requested recordings being held in the Cloud for playback alongside conventional catch-up, with different packages available with different Cloud sizes.

.... and here's a very similar device based on Apple TV 4K in Switzerland

Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 11 October 2018 12:03am

52 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
BBC iPlayer on Apple TV now has full regionality (at last)

19 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
All 4 Arrives

NG
noggin Founding member
All 4 Arrives

Same terrible picture quality as ever though.
NG
noggin Founding member

The baseband video connector looks like a BNC but has 24 fibre cores (or is it 32?)... It's based on HD streams forming 4K streams that in turn form 8K streams.

Back of envelope calculation :

7680 x 4320 x 120 at 4:2:2 12 bit (=24 bits per pixel) suggests 95Gb/s ...

That's around 10 times that of "4K" 3840x2160 at 60fps with 4:2:2 10-bit - which is around 10Gbs, or around 100 times that of our current HD standard of 1920x1080 25fps interlaced 4:2:2 10 bit which is around 1Gbs.

That's only considering active video and ignoring any blanking or audio.

Of course IP interconnects will also be a reality - but they will probably include some mezzanine compression or handle the 8K stream as 4K streams (or both) to get the bitrate down to something that will fit in 100GbE or lower...

(Europe is lucky that 4K at 50fps just squeaks into 10GbE without compression, 60fps doesn't - but the reality is that most people are using some mezzanine compression to reduce the data rates of 4K significantly. TICO is one such system)
Last edited by noggin on 18 December 2018 10:37am - 2 times in total
PA
pad
The ******* haven’t integrated with the Up Next / List system yet but apparently it’s coming next year.

Newer posts