TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
SOL posted:
How the hell is that able to happen? You’d think it was a standard template that’s used. The beeb really has gone downhill

Lets face it the pres on all channels is like something from the 90s literally, or in the case of Oneness, something from a local TV channel.

I hugely disagree. Nothing from the 90s looked like a bad PowerPoint recreation.

9 days later

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I presume there's a reason why the BBC or BBC Two have decided to start introducing Upstart Crow as "filmed in front of a live studio audience" every week? Or am I missing something?
PF
PFML84
Because people would find it hard to believe that a real live audience found it funny?
VM
VMPhil
The duty log got too many complaints about supposed ‘canned laughter’?
LL
Larry the Loafer
People nowadays do seem to use the term "canned laughter" to reference any laugh track on a TV show, even if the laughter isn't canned. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who simply don't understand that live audiences are still a thing in sitcoms.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, the turning point was The Office (and to a lesser extent The Royle Family) it had no laughter and after that sitcoms with laughter seemed very old fashioned to some.

Oddly the second series of I'm Alan Partridge went out a while after The Office had aired and had complaints about the laughter, with a lot of those saying 'why is there' canned' laughter in the second series when there wasn't in the first'. Of course there was in the first series too it's just everyone assumed it didn't
RD
rdd Founding member
I presume there's a reason why the BBC or BBC Two have decided to start introducing Upstart Crow as "filmed in front of a live studio audience" every week? Or am I missing something?

That was often a thing in US sitcoms in the 1970s and 1980s, to distinguish from those that had canned laughter; though as the posters above note, sitcoms with any type of laughter (canned or not) are virtually extinct. The Big Bang Theory is one of the only ones left, but it’s been running eleven years.
MA
Markymark
rdd posted:

That was often a thing in US sitcoms in the 1970s and 1980s, to distinguish from those that had canned laughter; though as the posters above note, sitcoms with any type of laughter (canned or not) are virtually extinct. The Big Bang Theory is one of the only ones left, but it’s been running eleven years.

M*A*S*H had an optional laugh track, which the BBC didn't use (except, by accident on one occasion if WiKi is to be believed)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)#Laugh_track
:-(
A former member
The only othe one is Roseanne, sory the conners but that will soon disappear.
IS
Inspector Sands
It's still a thing here of course and there are a few writers and performers who champion the format: Graham Linehan, Miranda Hart and presumably Ben Elton

It still has its place, and some shows like Mrs Brown's Boys wouldn't work without a studio audience
FA
fanoftv
I’ve noticed both Will & Grace and Raven’s Home have featured the ‘filmed in front of a live studio audience’ line over the past year, maybe there’s a resurgence.
LL
Larry the Loafer
rdd posted:
Sitcoms with any type of laughter (canned or not) are virtually extinct. The Big Bang Theory is one of the only ones left, but it’s been running eleven years.

Am I mistaken here? I thought the studio-based sitcom was still alive and well in America.

Newer posts