The Newsroom

New look STV News at Six

Debuts 10th September 2018 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
Maybe it's just me but what I find quite jarring is when the titles end and it cuts straight to whoever is leading the first story rather than fading in when the titles end.
PC
p_c_u_k
The gallery video remains an incredible watch, a technical tour de force. I'm sure the new version will be easier, but it still feels more complicated than it has to be.

I'm not aware of the set-up of CBC's The National, does it jump between different parts of Canada rather than having regional opt-outs? The biggest contradiction for me that STV has always had is that, to me at least, it appears it sees itself as a national broadcaster but its USP in news terms is local. Reporting Scotland is the national news that does stuff from Orkney when you're sitting in Glasgow not caring and vice-versa, and STV's regions mean that generally isn't going to happen. And in Aberdeen in particular, the Glasgow news agenda can feel as alien as the London one at times.

I imagine STV wanted to do a Scottish Six - indeed, I believe that was its pitch during the ridiculous "bid to produce the local ITV news era" when it hysterically lost out to a consortium of newspapers. Thank the lord that was quietly scrapped. And it had a go on STV2. But it really isn't the station's strength.
PC
p_c_u_k
Maybe it's just me but what I find quite jarring is when the titles end and it cuts straight to whoever is leading the first story rather than fading in when the titles end.

I presume that's because the titles are different in Glasgow and Edinburgh, so there's no other choice but a hard cut.
DK
DanielK

I presume that's because the titles are different in Glasgow and Edinburgh, so there's no other choice but a hard cut.

Presumably however, if the end card is the same then (one triangle West and one East, splitting to reveal the News logo) then they should be able to fade to whoever is lead, with no issue. They could even fade early, since the end card is the same.
GM
Gary McEwan
I think they should have went with one pre-record with both presenters and include both the Glasgow and Edinburgh triangles within the titles.

That would saved two sets of pre-records and two sets of opening titles that are needed currently.
PC
p_c_u_k
It seems unnecessary as it stands. I'm not sure the viewer is as bothered by whether the show starts in Glasgow or Edinburgh as STV think they are.
MO
Mouseboy33
I do like the concept of the programme. I do find the flow a bit clunky and unnecessary in places. The separate titles in my opinion arent needed. The fact that both programmes mention that it is presented from both cities negates that need for separate titles. Though I get the reasoning. As mentioned the average viewer probably wont be up in arms if they combined images of both cities. Unnecessarily complicated. I do like the desk and shape and I like they are on opposing sides. I dont like the massive metal head and footer.

The entire title sequence is a bit of mess in my opinion. It seems like the rendering is off somehow. It doesnt feel smooth. The awkward shot of the presenters walking behind the desk doesnt look slick enough. IMO the camera shouldnt be locked down. It should be a jib shot or a tracking shot from both studios. And the transition between those shots looks odd because of the weird little flash. As has been mentioned the hard cut after the titles bothers me. I think that for a big broadcaster like STV a hard cut or even a slow fade somehow make it feel, dare i say cheap. I think some type of sliding graphic element...say one of those black glassy triangle to reveal the studio shot. Not really a fan of this theme.

CBC's The National doesnt have opt outs as far as Im aware. Across the week they use 4 anchors. Two present each night from typically from two different locations. Either the main studio at the Canadian Broadcasting Centre in Toronto or CBC Ottawa or CBC Vancouver. Its very slick. Its very cerebral broadcast without being boring. The set while dark fits with the feel and mood of the programme. The graphics are all flat with a big emphasis on photography and typography. They dont really go in for the happy talk and chat. But I think they way they handle the split broadcast is quite nice without being cheesy and over emphasizing it. The new theme is ok. But I really am a fan of the theme from early 2000's

Best CBC The National Theme - Such a great 3 note signature. Similar to NBC chimes and very memorable as well. This should have been retained and updated fro 2018. Oh well.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 12 September 2018 5:26pm - 3 times in total
Rexogamer and JosiahStuart gave kudos
DJ
DJ Dave
Anybody else hear this theme?? remixed in the STV News titles Laughing
BB
BruceBBC
STV North came live from Dundee tonight for the opening of the V&A Museum. 2 cameras and a jib. Very high production value for a half hour news broadcast. Andrea Brymer anchored.

117 days later

BB
BruceBBC

ST
South Today
It looks more like just a new desk to me!
GM
Gary McEwan
It's just the 'J' desk that Central got last year. Nothing else has changed.

Newer posts