Mass Media & Technology

Extra TV

Need advice on a new tv set up (August 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Toshiba sets are largely Vestel badged sets. They were acquired by Hisense last year who produce Sharp tv sets.
JO
Joe
I’m confused - they shouldn’t need flash. A wired or wireless connection shouldn’t make a difference.

If they’re on the box they should be accessible in some form.

What messages are you getting when you try to launch them - what makes you think you need additional software or plugins?

I’m not aware of any mainstream, modern TV utilising Flash or similar?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Flash was a thing for Smart TVs a few years ago (I believe it works similar to a plug-in on desktop browsers) and may still be present in some older Smart TVs, particularly (but not exclusively) Samsung TVs. Apparently Adobe pulled the entire developer kit for Flash on Smart TVs a few years back - TVs that use it and find sites that use Flash will get asked to upgrade it - and they can't.

That being said, rather than going to ITV Hub or iPlayer or whatever in a browser you should really use the appropriate App instead which is what its designed for and will probably have more chance of being updated at all.
DA
davidhorman
Really disappointed. Bought the Toshiba model which, on the advert photo shows apps along the bottom, including ITV hub and More 4. However these are not available via wireless connections as they require Adobe which is not supported.

They shouldn't be advertising it if the apps aren't available - I'd think about taking it back! Are they shown on the box as well? Wireless or wired connection shouldn't make any difference. By Adobe, do you mean Flash? I must admit I haven't used those two - not when you get pretty much everything via, ahem, other means in less time than it takes to watch the forced ads. The whole apps-on-TVs thing has always been a bit of a minefield.
LL
Smart TV's aren't very smart for long. I have a nearly 5 year old LG set and is largely unusable for the Smart functions. Add a streaming box which is more likely to update the apps for longer (depending on the OS) compared to a Smart TV.
NG
noggin Founding member
Smart TV's aren't very smart for long. I have a nearly 5 year old LG set and is largely unusable for the Smart functions. Add a streaming box which is more likely to update the apps for longer (depending on the OS) compared to a Smart TV.

Yes - with a possible exception being TVs that run Android TV (Some Sony sets do) - though IMO external boxes are still better. When All4 arrives on tvOS the Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K (if you need UHD) are gong to be a very good answer.

Amazon have also just added frame rate switching support to the Fire TV OS and the Fire TV 3 (4K model) supports it - but third party apps need to be rewritten to take advantage of it.

I'd never buy a TV based on its smart TV app support. The life of a TV is significantly longer than the life of some platforms. We've already seen iPlayer support disappear on a large number of older Smart TVs and DVD/Blu-ray players when the BBC retired older iPlayer back-ends as the platform develops and modernises. Similarly Skype support on some TVs disappeared when MS decided to deprecate it.
LL
One of the reasons why I invested in a Nvidia Shield is that they continue to support the older devices, they now run Android Oreo and I won't be surprised if they upgrade the devices to Pie eventually.

I still also use the Now TV Smart Box, which is coming up for two years old. That supports the iPlayer live rewind functionality.
BA
bazzeruk1
When I try to watch ITV player or more4 i am told to download Adobe - cannot do that on a smart TV

Joe posted:
I’m confused - they shouldn’t need flash. A wired or wireless connection shouldn’t make a difference.

If they’re on the box they should be accessible in some form.

What messages are you getting when you try to launch them - what makes you think you need additional software or plugins?

I’m not aware of any mainstream, modern TV utilising Flash or similar?
NG
noggin Founding member
One of the reasons why I invested in a Nvidia Shield is that they continue to support the older devices, they now run Android Oreo and I won't be surprised if they upgrade the devices to Pie eventually.

I still also use the Now TV Smart Box, which is coming up for two years old. That supports the iPlayer live rewind functionality.

Yes - though the current nVidia Shield TV and the original nVidia Shield are all but identical internally in hardware terms - they just differ in form factor and a few external I/O terms.

Both the Shield TV and Apple TV 4K are very good, and at a lower price the Roku Streaming Stick, whilst a bit more basic, is also very effective (and was the only one of the three to support UHD iPlayer)
JO
Joe
Flash was a thing for Smart TVs a few years ago (I believe it works similar to a plug-in on desktop browsers) and may still be present in some older Smart TVs, particularly (but not exclusively) Samsung TVs. Apparently Adobe pulled the entire developer kit for Flash on Smart TVs a few years back - TVs that use it and find sites that use Flash will get asked to upgrade it - and they can't.

That being said, rather than going to ITV Hub or iPlayer or whatever in a browser you should really use the appropriate App instead which is what its designed for and will probably have more chance of being updated at all.

Didn't twig that the poster was trying to access these through the browser from the sounds of it – nor that Flash had been developed for Smart TVs. I should keep my nose out!
LL
Best things about the Shield.

Smooth streaming, ITV Hub supports the subscription service, so have ad free content, since Oreo I can add external storage to store apps which meant the 16GB storage would fill quickly, access to the Google (TV) Play Store, so don't have to sideload foreign tv apps and can use apps I've paid for already and it supports frame rate switching on Perfect Player, so can watch US content without having to manually adjust from 50 to 60Hz.

It also supports Chromecast apps, so while there's no All4, My5 or NOW TV, you can cast to the Shield from your phone, tablet or PC.

Newer posts