« Topics
What has McCain go to do with the UK?
Connews and Stuart gave kudos
London Lite10,295 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
As a non-Presidential American politician, McCain was known outside of the US for many years before Trump came on the scene. His bi-partisan politics, despite being a Republican made him friends across the political spectrum.

If he ran against a poor Democratic candidate, he'd certainly be US President.
WW Update gave kudos
Rkolsen2,675 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
As a non-Presidential American politician, McCain was known outside of the US for many years before Trump came on the scene. His bi-partisan politics, despite being a Republican made him friends across the political spectrum.

If he ran against a poor Democratic candidate, he'd certainly be US President.

He was also a war hero, forgoing release as a POW until all were released.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
London Lite gave kudos
all new Phil3,143 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
I don’t understand how the John McCain memorial service is of interest to anybody in the UK. It’s currently being shown live on both Sky and BBC News. It would be like the US networks covering Ed Miliband’s funeral.

McCain is an American cultural and political icon who has been a U.S Household name for 40 years. To compare him to Ed Miliband is the silliest thing I have read on these boards in years.

It did be deemed rude too. McCain is better than 'all new Phil' will ever be

Are schools not back yet? Rolling Eyes
I love lamp
JamesWorldNews and Stuart gave kudos
AJ1,705 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

On that basis, we might as well just scrap all international news and just have UK stories. I mean, what does a volcano in Hawaii or a Caribbean hurricane have to do with us?
London Lite gave kudos
London Lite10,295 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

On that basis, we might as well just scrap all international news and just have UK stories. I mean, what does a volcano in Hawaii or a Caribbean hurricane have to do with us?

Indeed, Sky has always covered the big international stories, alongside domestic. Sounds like Brexit TV if Sky became that insular.
AJ gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,523 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Nothing, but that's the sole factor in how the news agenda is decided. A lot of stories don't have anything to do with the UK but that doesn't mean they're not interesting or significant enough to make the news.

The funeral was an interesting and unusual event.... unique in fact. It's not everyone who's respected enough to have the last three US presidents attend, and speak at, their funeral. In the end it turned out it also had a wider political angle, the subtext of a lot of the eulogies being seen as a dig at the culture created by the current president.

That said I doubt it would have got as much live coverage on the news channels had it been a weekday and not a quiet Saturday afternoon
London Lite gave kudos
BFGArmy317 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
Great move by Sky - Mark is a fantastic news anchor. I do hope he's on air a bit longer than 90 minutes though (with Ian King Live currently at 6.30 and Sky News Tonight at 7pm).

The weekday line-up now looks really strong - the only weak point I'd say is Sunrise where the weekend team are much better.

The only thing I'm not keen on with this change is the move back to 'show names' - which to be fair isn't limited to Sky alone. People watch news channels for the news and they'll watch whether it's called 'The News Hour' or 'The Kay Burley Show' or just 'Sky News'. Changes may excite us but at the end of the day all most people want is the news. It does feel like styles of presentation go in and out of fashion - a few years back most news channels had similar presentation for most of their hours with bulletins mainly called Sky or BBC News whereas now branded bulletins seem to be back in fashion.

Hopefully with the name changes we may at least get some more interesting presentation - while the current look, music, presentation does the job it is very nondescript whereas the look they had back in 2010/11 I thought was very strong.