TV Home Forum

BFBS. A question

Sky Sports outside UK and ROI (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
It’s 544x576 like I mentioned in my original reply.
DV
dvboy
a516 posted:
BBC Two from BFBS is a special version of the channel, with children's programmes until around 18:00 UK time, after which the main BBC Two schedule is simulcast.

Is that every day regardless of the BBC Two schedule, or if there are live events such as sport on BBC Two in the daytime do they show them? What happens if there isn't a junction at 18:00 as is often the case at weekends? Are the childrens programmes specially put together for the channel or are they a simulcast of another channel eg CBBC? Does the BBC put this special version of BBC Two for BFBS or do BFBS do it themselves?
NG
noggin Founding member
dvboy posted:
a516 posted:
BBC Two from BFBS is a special version of the channel, with children's programmes until around 18:00 UK time, after which the main BBC Two schedule is simulcast.

Is that every day regardless of the BBC Two schedule, or if there are live events such as sport on BBC Two in the daytime do they show them? What happens if there isn't a junction at 18:00 as is often the case at weekends? Are the childrens programmes specially put together for the channel or are they a simulcast of another channel eg CBBC? Does the BBC put this special version of BBC Two for BFBS or do BFBS do it themselves?

Could it be as simple as a simulcast of CBBC until 1800 with a switch to BBC Two - or does the schedule include content from CBeebies and CBBC?
WO
Woodpecker
Could it be as simple as a simulcast of CBBC until 1800 with a switch to BBC Two - or does the schedule include content from CBeebies and CBBC?

From what I've seen of the schedule (which is on the BFBS website), it is a straight simulcast of CBBC until 18:00/18:30, followed by BBC Two afterwards.
JA
james-2001
Didn't BFBS used to run their own channels until a few years back, when they switched to similcasts or time delayed versions of the UK terrestria channels?
NG
noggin Founding member
Didn't BFBS used to run their own channels until a few years back, when they switched to similcasts or time delayed versions of the UK terrestria channels?

I believe so. I think this was because they carried content from all the main channels, but didn't have enough capacity/funds to carry them all?
IS
Inspector Sands
The channel line up I posted above shows they have, BFBS Extra and BFBS Sports and there's Nepal TV which I assume is a BFBS channel

BFBS Extra includes the Forces News bulletin, which is also seen on Forces TV

Schedules here: https://www.forces.net/tv/schedule?ts=1535929200&full=1
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 2 September 2018 3:29pm - 2 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member
The channel line up I posted above shows they have, BFBS Extra and BFBS Sports and there's Nepal TV which I assume is a BFBS channel

BFBS Extra includes the Forces News bulletin, which is also seen on Forces TV

Schedules here: https://www.forces.net/tv/schedule?ts=1535929200&full=1

Would Nepal TV be for Gurkhas serving in the British armed forces?
IS
Inspector Sands

Would Nepal TV be for Gurkhas serving in the British armed forces?

Yes, though I've just realised that it's not a BFBS channel, it's a relay of Nepal TV, a TV channel in Nepal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Television
MI
Mike516

Yes. And going back a long way it was a single analogue terrestrial channel with the best of BBC One, Two, ITV, C4 and later C5, known for a time as SSVC Television.

A typical weekday schedule 25 years ago was BBC Breakfast News (with Newsroom South East) to start the day, some Schools programming, a live simulcast of This Morning at 11:30 CET, then the ITN Lunchtime News, followed at 1400 CET by some daytime soaps, Countdown, children's programmes and the ITN Early Evening News. Soaps, dramas and shows followed from 1900 CET, until the BBC Nine O'Clock News at 2200 CET, and then some more drama and shows until closedown. Saturday daytime was largely a BBC One simulcast with the Saturday morning children's programmes starting at 1000 CET and Grandstand in the afternoon.

Due to most of Western Europe using PAL-BG, where as the UK used PAL-I, many television sets in the countries where SSVC/BFBS was transmitted couldn't receive the sound, until multi-standard sets became more commonplace.
CH
chinamug

I'm sure this was posted before.
Last edited by chinamug on 3 September 2018 5:59pm
VM
VMPhil
I love that logo.

Newer posts