TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Caly123
Alright, so I was watching a capture of Optics on Youtube and I noticed in the description, it had been claimed by 'Atmosphere TV' and the track they were claiming was called 'Inhale' from the album 'ATV04B_Radio'.

Curious, I did some further research and the album is a collection of commercial advertising music, some of which included BBC Two's idents. I'm pretty sure the album itself is common knowledge at this point, but I found something interesting within the album. I found the album on some dodgy Chinese website with the full album available for streaming (not sure if this is illegal or no so i'm not linking it) and I found a track which is within the style of the other BBC Two idents at the time, but I've never heard it before in my life.

Here's the audio file from the website, apologies for the bad audio but it's the best the website would offer.

For those who can't listen to it, it's basically some sort of 'remixed' version of Optics.

So, is this a new, unused discovery? Or am I just some mutt who's late to find out?

Here's the link: http://www.songba.org/listen_info.asp?NID=1532
VM
VMPhil
Very interesting - there are several BBC2 soundtracks there, “Abstraction” appears to be the full soundtrack for the short lived Crystal Ball ident for example, which I don’t think has been heard before.

Edit: apparently this came out in the UK in 2003. It’s been under our noses this whole time: https://www.discogs.com/Various-TV-Radio/release/6372902
Last edited by VMPhil on 31 August 2018 10:51am
WH
whoiam989
I found something too. It is now released by Universal Production Music: TV (ATV004A), Radio (ATV004B)

It's a part of the "As Heard On TV" label.
:-(
A former member
Half of all the bbc 2 ident music are on that muisc library. Plus its night time i think.
BR
Brekkie
Cavan posted:
So, is this a new, unused discovery? Or am I just some mutt who's late to find out?

It's the soundtrack of the Night School ident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWKZWFRofSc

That owl is terrifying.
LS
LoganStuff
Wait, you guys seriously didn't know the album existed? It regularly appears on copyright-claimed BBC Two ident captures, I would've thought someone might've found it. The album does have quite a few other full-length ident soundtracks on there too, for ones such as Optics and Paint.
A former member
Wait, you guys seriously didn't know the album existed? It regularly appears on copyright-claimed BBC Two ident captures, I would've thought someone might've found it. The album does have quite a few other full-length ident soundtracks on there too, for ones such as Optics and Paint.

I believe its more like 50/50 half the people know and believe the other 50% did know, but in fact the other 50% never know of this gem...
CA
Cavan
Logowatch on BBC TWO Scotland...

Meanwhile, Wales appears to have adopted NI's Copper slide.

SO
SOL
How the hell is that able to happen? You’d think it was a standard template that’s used. The beeb really has gone downhill
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Do you mean having different slides or that messy Scotland logo?
A former member
Has to be the messy logo..
WO
Worzel
SOL posted:
How the hell is that able to happen? You’d think it was a standard template that’s used. The beeb really has gone downhill

Lets face it the pres on all channels is like something from the 90s literally, or in the case of Oneness, something from a local TV channel.

Newer posts