TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
DE88 posted:
Go to 20:25 on this video, which is near the end. Bear in mind this was from LWT, how on earth could a BSB slide get broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51yAzgiQ3g

That is quite strange. TV Fourm must have had a field day with that

TV Forum wasn't around in 1990. Wink

Minor detail. We probably wrote into the pages of Ceefax and Oracle instead. Very Happy

Speaking of which the BBC put up a video a few days ago on the retroness of Ceefax and on topic you can see a man suffering a Ceefax breakdown (aka poor signal):
https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/a-love-letter-to-ceefax/p06gwxp2
IS
Inspector Sands

What's more puzzling, BSB was being transmitted out of Marco Polo House, not the South Bank. So, a line switching error at the transmitter seems likely.

Or did they have some sort of disaster recovery facility/arrangement with LWT? So that if BSB was evacuated or disabled in some way they'd go down the river and broadcast from there.

It would explain the presence of the BSB breakdown caption. That and the IBA one were on stills store and got cut to air accidently? After all they had just broadcast a still coming out of the break into the programme part
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 August 2018 6:18am - 2 times in total
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Croydon ROC was certainly involved in the operation of the BSB uplink

I wonder if one of the BSB channels fell off air and Croydon routed the apology slide to the wrong place?
CO
commseng
I think the most likely explanation is that it was the original VHS recording that was switched from LWT to a BSB channel.
Anything else is a bit too convoluted.
JA
james-2001
This is TV forum, we do convoluted.
FO
FanOfTV99
DE88 posted:
Go to 20:25 on this video, which is near the end. Bear in mind this was from LWT, how on earth could a BSB slide get broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51yAzgiQ3g

That is quite strange. TV Forum must have had a field day with that

TV Forum wasn't around in 1990. Wink

To be honest, I thought this was from 2001 for some reason.
JA
james-2001
Even though it says 1990 in the video description, and looks nothing like anything from 2001.
BL
bluecortina

What's more puzzling, BSB was being transmitted out of Marco Polo House, not the South Bank. So, a line switching error at the transmitter seems likely.

Or did they have some sort of disaster recovery facility/arrangement with LWT? So that if BSB was evacuated or disabled in some way they'd go down the river and broadcast from there.

It would explain the presence of the BSB breakdown caption. That and the IBA one were on stills store and got cut to air accidently? After all they had just broadcast a still coming out of the break into the programme part

There was no disaster recovery agreement between LWT and BSB.

The 'slide' of the 'Time Tunnel' back to the programme itself is far too short, normally these sorts of placements were 5 seconds or so. I call 'foul' and this recording is not what it seems to be at face value.
Inspector Sands and Crawley_Court gave kudos

14 days later

IS
Inspector Sands
A nice compilation of American TV breakdowns here. The little skit at 2' in is a great idea for a breakdown loop. The slide selector at 4' in is a highlight too
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 27 August 2018 11:16am
BE
Bennyboy1984

Bit of a strange one here from Cartoon Network (US version I believe) in which the same sound is played over and over.
JF
JetixFann450
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pb1vHv2sg

Bit of a strange one here from Cartoon Network (US version I believe) in which the same sound is played over and over.

The audio that was being repeated was from a "Progressive" advert that was airing previously before the episode was played.
BE
Bennyboy1984

This contains an ITV Greenwich slide, has anyone seen that before?

Newer posts