The Newsroom

EuronewsNBC coming in September

(August 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
stuartfanning
More info on EuronewsNBC which launches next month.

https://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2018/08/09/inside-euronews-nbc-fresh-rolling-news-channel-striving-help-save-united-europe
GI
ginnyfan
This is exciting! A brand new news channel with lots of new possibilities. I already like their morning and afternoon slot and look forward to a complete look and schedule!
LL
London Lite Founding member
Well at least we know the new Brussels show launches in September.
TR
TheTravelcard
A very promising article, will be interesting to see the evolution of the channel in September. Their morning programme is very good - it noticeably doesn't fall into the 'Trump or Brexit impacts everything' trap of similar morning programming. 'Euronews Now' is quite boring though, yes it's good to have an afternoon show, but it's a 25-30 min loop at 12CET replayed for 6 hours. I watched it earlier for a few mins earlier today and developments on those stories had already happened. The main presenter was not very engaging and the questioning was very basic. Having said that, the in-studio report on 'The Cube' segment was good, social media hits in shows often seem 'gimmicky' or unnecessary (I'm thinking CNN Talk, AJE Newsgrid) but this one was very much relevant, good graphics and not too much 'X person tweeted us to say Y is good, but Z person said on Facebook it's bad'.
MO
Mouseboy33
From LaFigaro:
Quote:
No Americanization

The negotiations, which had been the subject of an initial announcement in November, took a long time to succeed because it was necessary to reassure the authorities of Brussels, which subsidizes Euronews, on the maintenance of the European vocation of the channel. "Very strong guarantees have been given to the EU", in particular by strengthening the public television stations at the origin of the channel in their role of "guardians of the temple". Despite their reduced weight, they will hold 7 of the 11 seats on the editorial board (compared to 3 for Mr Sawiris and 1 for NBC).

This editorial board is responsible for ensuring that "Euronews' European general interest missions are safeguarded," said the channel's boss. "We are not here to Americanize Euronews," said AFP Deborah Turness, president of NBC News International, who will be responsible for making the link with the US parent company and will share its weeks in the future between London and Lyon. "We are really complementary," said Turness, noting that NBC was not present in Europe and had skills that Euronews lack today.

Only two or three representatives of NBC will be seconded to Lyon, mainly in planning and coordinating tasks. Editorial responsibility will remain on Euronews side.
CH
Charles
From LaFigaro:
Quote:
No Americanization

The negotiations, which had been the subject of an initial announcement in November, took a long time to succeed because it was necessary to reassure the authorities of Brussels, which subsidizes Euronews, on the maintenance of the European vocation of the channel. "Very strong guarantees have been given to the EU", in particular by strengthening the public television stations at the origin of the channel in their role of "guardians of the temple". Despite their reduced weight, they will hold 7 of the 11 seats on the editorial board (compared to 3 for Mr Sawiris and 1 for NBC).

This editorial board is responsible for ensuring that "Euronews' European general interest missions are safeguarded," said the channel's boss. "We are not here to Americanize Euronews," said AFP Deborah Turness, president of NBC News International, who will be responsible for making the link with the US parent company and will share its weeks in the future between London and Lyon. "We are really complementary," said Turness, noting that NBC was not present in Europe and had skills that Euronews lack today.

Only two or three representatives of NBC will be seconded to Lyon, mainly in planning and coordinating tasks. Editorial responsibility will remain on Euronews side.

Do you have a link to this article?
RK
Rkolsen
Is it possible that the rebranding to EuronewsNBC maybe because people may recognize NBC News through CNBC (perhaps there other properties) more so than the single EuroNews brand that some people may associate with a channel that had a dozen language feeds and limited on air talent? (Sorry for the long winded sentence).

Also I’m not sure how transmission negotiations work in Europe but is it possible for NBC to group EuronewsNBC with CNBC and the rest of their international feeds. Thereby they could get wider carriage and possibly more money.
ST
stuartfanning
From LaFigaro:
Quote:
No Americanization

Do you have a link to this article?
This is the last article in LaFigaro I can find but it goes back to May 2017.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/2017/05/31/97002-20170531FILWWW00300-euronews-le-rapprochement-avec-nbc-finalise.php
GL
globaltraffic24
It may have been confirmed before, but are all 12 language channels getting studio-based shows after September? At the moment, it's only EuroNews English which carries studio programming. The need for 12 studios and production teams would surely be a huge cost burden?
TV
TVViewer256
It may have been confirmed before, but are all 12 language channels getting studio-based shows after September? At the moment, it's only EuroNews English which carries studio programming. The need for 12 studios and production teams would surely be a huge cost burden?

I doubt it.
BB
BBI45

I reckon they'll probably see how the English service goes before considering the other language services. After the new service fully launches in English, then they'll possibly start to look at expanding to provide the same services in other languages. However, I would be surprised to see all 12 channels have studio-based services anywhere in the near future, unless they operate on reduced hours.

I'm also interested in knowing whether or not there will be any graphical changes because whenever I watch. there is usually one technical problem or another.

10 days later

GI
ginnyfan
Are we expecting to see any changes tomorrow? Raw Politics, a new show, makes its debut, according to the promo.

Newer posts