The Newsroom

BBC News at Ten

It's so lit (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

The regional optouts and thunderclaps ... having seen video footage some time ago on YouTube (which I can't find now, annoyingly) of a regional gallery opting in and out of the headline sequence I can only admire the people responsible. It isn't a countdown as such, London just yells "opt out opt out" down the line after the last national headline and the timing is up to the region. It really does seem unnecessarily complicated and it's amazing we don't get more crashes and untidy mixes.

London doesn't usually yell...

Most directors I've heard are perfectly calm and just call the opt in the same way as presentation do, with a clear 'opt-out, opt-out'. They trigger a timer that counts to the opt-back with a digitised voice which is sent to the regions along with the director's talkback (the digital voice used to be Fiona Bruce, not sure if it is now Sophie Raworth). When that timer hits zero they call 'opt-in, opt-in' (some may say 'opt-back, opt-back')
RN
Rolling News
Fair play to Sophie Rayworth who flew through the headlines tonight! Blink and you may have missed it!

Can you elaborate? I've just watched it back and it was no different to usual?
TT
TerrestrialTelly
It just seemed to me that during the opening headlines the delivery was much faster than normal.
CI
cityprod
Fair play to Sophie Rayworth who flew through the headlines tonight! Blink and you may have missed it!

44 seconds on the top story, 29 seconds on the rest of the headlines, the full title sequence taking 1 minute 43 seconds. The amount of time the top story got felt justifiable, the other headlines were not overlong, it worked beautifully. Even in the 1999 era, you might have forgiven the main bulletin for doing an extended open like this in this situation. When the opening sequence takes 2 minutes or more, it does tend to feel too long.
MA
Markymark

However if (and I think it's still an IF - though I think an RFI has gone out) they move to an IP system for regional production (possibly using remote production techniques) then that may offer some potential solutions.

A tender went out this week for a trial system, (it's going to be a long road before we see anything being deployed)
NG
noggin Founding member

However if (and I think it's still an IF - though I think an RFI has gone out) they move to an IP system for regional production (possibly using remote production techniques) then that may offer some potential solutions.

A tender went out this week for a trial system, (it's going to be a long road before we see anything being deployed)

Yep - the opt-out solution for BBC One HD will have to arrive separately, and before, I guess. Fingers crossed the SD gear lasts... (Though cameras could be upgraded earlier in extremis I guess - as any solution will presumably have Cameras and CCUs+RCPs+MSUs on site and their outputs IP encapsulated for transit to the remote data centre. Whether you go for CCUs with internal IP support or off-board would be the main question?)
RK
Rkolsen

Yep - the opt-out solution for BBC One HD will have to arrive separately, and before, I guess. Fingers crossed the SD gear lasts... (Though cameras could be upgraded earlier in extremis I guess - as any solution will presumably have Cameras and CCUs+RCPs+MSUs on site and their outputs IP encapsulated for transit to the remote data centre. Whether you go for CCUs with internal IP support or off-board would be the main question?)

Do you have a link on the tender process. Not sure where’d I’d start.
MA
Markymark

Do you have a link on the tender process. Not sure where’d I’d start.

It's not viewable, unless you are a registered supplier on the BBC's supplier framework (and you've signed an NDA Cool )

Newer posts