« Topics
Neil Jones5,441 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Interesting to note American TV was filming stuff in colour long before the majority of people could receive it. Although as noted in the thread comments on the 1958 clip, President Eisenhower can be seen on tape in colour, whereas there appears to be little or no colour video at all of JFK save for possibly that clip that showed him being shot, said clip turning up years after the event.
DE88 gave kudos
james-20015,088 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Interesting to note American TV was filming stuff in colour long before the majority of people could receive it. Although as noted in the thread comments on the 1958 clip, President Eisenhower can be seen on tape in colour, whereas there appears to be little or no colour video at all of JFK save for possibly that clip that showed him being shot, said clip turning up years after the event.

When it came to NBC, it's hardly suprsing. RCA was their parent company, they developed the NTSC colour standard, and I think manufactured most colour sets at that point in time, and I think got money from ones made by other maufacturers too, so you can understand why they pushed colour.

It's also the reason ABC and CBS dragged their heels somewhat-, ABC didn't start until 1962 and CBS didn't have any regular colour programming until 1965 (even programmes made in colour, like The Lucy Show, were shown in black & white before then), they wouldn't be wanting to do something which would help a competitor. CBS were probably even more bitter as they developed a colour standard which was initially adopted in the early 50s, then quickly dropped, which is why were so late compared to the other networks.
DE88682 posts since 8 Jan 2017
Think I'd prefer to watch Cuddly Ken's piss-takes of the Thames ident.

Or *any* of the piss-takes from End of Part One... Wink

Now officially retired from TV Forum. "When the fun stops, stop."
Neil Jones5,441 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Interesting piece of frontcap suppression by TSW, assuming of course there was one to suppress in 1988:

Also observe the changes made to the titles for the Blockbusters Champions series and also how great this entire package still sounds and looks 30 odd years later (thank you Central for going to town on the CGI in the 1980s).

Now compare to this musical monstrosity from the Michael Aspel era of 1997:
NicB1971 gave kudos
noggin14,455 posts since 26 Jun 2001
I'm quite impressed by that title sequence, knowing what video editing was like in the early 70s.

I'd have thought it would have been done at least in part using film?

That certainly looks all video-sourced to me - the game elements that have been edited and frozen and masked all have a very EMI 2001 look. (EMIs have a very distinctive 'pale pink' flesh tone) The overlaid black bars and split screens are very nicely done, but all do-able with 70s tech. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ampex video disc slow motion system was used to do the freezes. The BBC certainly had one (or more) for instant replays and slow-mos back then.

The Quad Split effect is foxing me though - as I don't think the BBC had any digital system to do that (unless there was an R&D special knocking around). The 1976 Montreal Olympics was famously the first time a Quantel system was used to do a corner shrink live. You could obviously re-position pictures using the 'camera pointing at a screen' technique - so it may be they did that.

The other option is you take the video content, telerecord it to film, do film opticals, and then telecine it back - but the pictures don't have a 'telerecorded' look.

The end card could be a film animation - but I suspect was a physical caption with a camera move on it.
Inspector Sands gave kudos