TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Topless Darts, live and LOCAL from the Bullring.
GE
thegeek Founding member
One of my colleagues once worked for L!VE TV. He was reminiscing one day, and said with a happy sigh "ah, topless darts in space was one of my finest moments"
paul_hadley, p_c_u_k and Spencer gave kudos
CI
cityprod
The DOG on the former Made In Bristol now says LOCAL TV. Vocally though, they call it Bristol Live, which is weird because as far as I can tell, none of the output is live, it's all recorded segments.
RI
Rijowhi
Local TV is the official name of the network anyway. This smacks of the start of the merger of the entire lot as many on here (and other sites) said would happen.

If it helps save another form of Local TV then that is good...even if the stations become just a 30 minute programme on a National set up (as they basically already are on Sky - a North/South set up could work so viewers get a chance to see their local News/Magazine programme 'live' at least four times a day).

The channels are different to BBC/ITV's more polished and professional programmes...they offer something a little different and that's got to be a good thing even if not to everyone's taste. I still doubt the channels are viable in the future but good luck to them.
BA
bilky asko
One of my colleagues once worked for L!VE TV. He was reminiscing one day, and said with a happy sigh "ah, topless darts in space was one of my finest moments"

For anyone wondering whatever happened to Jimmy Frinton, his good chum Ian Crawford is up at Edinburgh doing Accident Avoidance Training for Cutlery Users – Level 2.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I think there's more to it than that.

David Montgomery (formerly of Local World Newspapers) has been a director of Made Television Ltd for quite some time and was rumoured to have taken more of hands on role lately. He is the sole director of Local TV Ltd.

When he was at Mirror Group he once had a masterplan to make L!VE TV a network of local stations. The plan was to have Birmingham L!VE, Liverpool L!VE etc, and some actually made it to air.

The way in which Made is starting to be re-branded very much matches that strategy. Monty was also reported to be in talks with London Live about a takeover recently.

I look forward to the News Bunny giving a big thumbs up to plans for a new cycle lane in Middlesbrough.

Alas, that was Kelvin Mackenzie's doing. Monty's vision was more serious news orientated.
BR
Brekkie
.The channels are different to BBC/ITV's more polished and professional programmes...they offer something a little different and that's got to be a good thing even if not to everyone's taste. I still doubt the channels are viable in the future but good luck to them.

I don't think there is a huge demand for something different to professional and polished programming.
NovaProdTV, London Lite and Steve Williams gave kudos
LL
Maybe the plan after all isn't for That's TV domination, but for a company to come in and buy all of the the licences for a quasi-national channel, while keeping a resemblance of local programming.

The impression I now get of That's TV is of being a caretaker company maintaining them at the bare minimum, while the big bosses of the company (and Local TV Ltd) rake in the cash out of this failure.
NovaProdTV and Rijowhi gave kudos
RI
Rijowhi
.The channels are different to BBC/ITV's more polished and professional programmes...they offer something a little different and that's got to be a good thing even if not to everyone's taste. I still doubt the channels are viable in the future but good luck to them.

I don't think there is a huge demand for something different to professional and polished programming.

The missing word is MORE (polished and professional). I generally agree with you though as stated by my last sentence.
JA
JAS84
Maybe the plan after all isn't for That's TV domination, but for a company to come in and buy all of the the licences for a quasi-national channel, while keeping a resemblance of local programming.

The impression I now get of That's TV is of being a caretaker company maintaining them at the bare minimum, while the big bosses of the company (and Local TV Ltd) rake in the cash out of this failure.

With Estuary gone next week, and STV2 shut down recently, aren't there now only a few indie locals left? Brighton's Latest TV, London Live, KMTV in Kent, Notts TV, Sheffield Live, and Belfast's NVTV? How much longer will those last?
LL
JAS84 posted:

With Estuary gone next week, and STV2 shut down recently, aren't there now only a few indie locals left? Brighton's Latest TV, London Live, KMTV in Kent, Notts TV, Sheffield Live, and Belfast's NVTV? How much longer will those last?

As long as Northern Visions have enough funding to run their local channel, I suspect it'll plod along nicely out of the reach of Daniel Cass and That's TV, a similar thing for Sheffield Live, which is operated by the charity that runs a community radio station in the same area.

Latest TV appears to be run by a chap who also owns a venue in the town, which doubles up as the Latest TV studio and newsroom during the day. He also publishes free magazines in the town and a hyperlocal newspaper. Cass's money may be tempting, unless he's a stubborn person who'll keep it running as long as there's enough money across his businesses to keep it going.

London Live is the one that is almost certainly to be sold. Two Beards has held off from bids from That's TV. With London being the most valuable licence, with a target audience of 12m, it'll go to another organisation with more money than sense, which would price Daniel Cass out.
DE
deryn
when will thats tv scotland launch

Newer posts