The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NB
NicB1971
It is high time Tom Bradby was removed from News at Ten. He is a weak newscaster and has ruined the programme; however, those at ITN should shoulder the blame by allowing him and Rageh Omaar to present in this silly way. John Craven's Newsround of the 1970s was more professional and less patrionising and childish. The old ITN News at Ten was a respected news bulletin with gravitas, rounded off neatly with the "And finally..." bit for people to have a smile at before going off to bed with their cocoa. ITV News has good newscasters, such as Alastair Stewart and Mary Nightingale, able to report the news effectively without sensationalising.
It is also time Newsnight was consigned to the broadcasting history books - what a depressing hotch-potch of a programme.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Can’t say I disagree........
LondonViewer, GMc and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
BS
Ben Shatliff
It is high time Tom Bradby was removed from News at Ten. He is a weak newscaster and has ruined the programme; however, those at ITN should shoulder the blame by allowing him and Rageh Omaar to present in this silly way. John Craven's Newsround of the 1970s was more professional and less patrionising and childish. The old ITN News at Ten was a respected news bulletin with gravitas, rounded off neatly with the "And finally..." bit for people to have a smile at before going off to bed with their cocoa. ITV News has good newscasters, such as Alastair Stewart and Mary Nightingale, able to report the news effectively without sensationalising.
It is also time Newsnight was consigned to the broadcasting history books - what a depressing hotch-potch of a programme.

If they want solo presenters let Alastair and Julie alternate and have Mary as a stand it.

If they want Dual Presenters which I think is better then Alastair and Julie should go it with Mary and maybe Chris Ship or Steve Scott as stabs ins.

But Tom, I am sorry but it is time for him to go and let other professional and caring presenters do the job.
NE
Newsroom
Tom Bradby should never have got the job in the first place. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Mark Austin. Can't stand his unique, way of presenting. Unique for all the wrong reasons.
RK
Rkolsen
Looks like OFCOM have got involved now

I know it was crass but what has he done to get ofcom involved?

Also do the ITV (network) News TD and some other control room staff stay on to do/start ITV London or is there sufficient break time to swap out staff.
MA
Markymark

Tell us more, links ??
EA
Earlie37
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7017834/ofcom-probe-itv-genoa-bridge-collapse-coverage/

Hint of warning: this report is from The Sun so I wouldn't take the report too seriously!
JK
JKDerry

Also do the ITV (network) News TD and some other control room staff stay on to do/start ITV London or is there sufficient break time to swap out staff.

On some occasions the 10.30pm ITV News London is pre-recorded at 9.30pm as the set as you know is based in the main ITV News studio, so it would take a bit of a hassle to organise the studio in just one minute.
AN
Andrew Founding member

On some occasions the 10.30pm ITV News London is pre-recorded at 9.30pm as the set as you know is based in the main ITV News studio, so it would take a bit of a hassle to organise the studio in just one minute.

Where have you got that info from?
JK
JKDerry

From someone at ITN who works in the actual building
TR
TheTravelcard
I must say, I'm surprised by the response this is getting. ITV's morning news coverage is led by Piers Morgan, who has had said IMO some truly unfair things during GMB. Bradby certainly has a particular style, but let's be honest, Mark Austin and Trevor McDonald are gone - the BBC and Channel 4 offer much 'harder news' formats. The conversational style does offer an alternative and whilst it might not be for everyone, to me it does seem in line with the overall ITV News output. ITV still has a strong team of presenters and reporters.

What I can agree with though, is that this was certainly a very weird opening statement - no one in Western Europe would ever think something like that, it's a completely unnecessary, somewhat sensationalist thing to say. I agree with the comments that American style opening monologues are not appropriate for UK news programmes - they're not "wrong", we just don't do things like that! We want our TV News to be impartial and non-sensational, we have tabloids for that. Tom Bradby has been about for years, I wouldn't question his health having an impact on his years of journalism experience or ability to tell a story. Remember that it's better the devil you know, News at Ten is still a decent programme and if he left he wouldn't be replaced by Julie/Alistair, otherwise they would be the lead presenters now. If he did leave, there would be a strong chance it would be a complete outsider.
MA
Macalolo

From someone at ITN who works in the actual building

This certainly does not happen. London's late bulletin is always live. There is always enough time to turn enough cameras round so the opening shot and first leadin can be read out. The rest of the cameras are swapped mid-bulletin.

The director leaves the gallery, TD and PA stay on and the bulletin producer swaps.

Newer posts