TV Home Forum

Another reason to slag off UTV

(August 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
marksi
Tonight's "Watch to Win" competition is sponsored by a radio station in Dublin (Lite FM) that no one in their franchise area can receive.

Local television service... yeah right!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Why is it a reason to slag off UTV ? More fool Lite FM for sponsoring something outside their catchment area. Why should UTV refuse ?
BR
Barney Rubble
marksi posted:
Tonight's "Watch to Win" competition is sponsored by a radio station in Dublin (Lite FM) that no one in their franchise area can receive.

Local television service... yeah right!

I can assure you that you have the only local service so make the most of it!!!!

SMG have ripped the heart out of Grampian IMO like Granada / Carlton have done to the rest of the country.
MA
marksi
Quote:
Why is it a reason to slag off UTV ? More fool Lite FM for sponsoring something outside their catchment area. Why should UTV refuse ?

UTV own Lite FM.

The fact is that UTV are supposed to be providing a local tv service. It doesn't feel like it's a local service if they advertise products and services that are not available to the core audience.
RD
rdd Founding member
UTV are a commercial company.

And here are the simple economics of it...there are more people who can recieve UTV outside of its franchise area (ie the Republic of Ireland) than inside it (Northern Ireland).

Do the maths. UTV is not going to turn down money, or its board would be shot come the next AGM.

Its not really sponsorship if it comes from a subsidary though. It would be like if BBCi sponsored something on BBC ONE (yes I know the BBC cannot accept sponsorship, its a hypothetical example).

Its possible we will see cross-promotion of Live 95FM or 96FM County Sound though. UTV have however got in trouble for cross-promoting UTV Internet though.
LC
Lewis c
I must admit i caught the UTV link into corrie last night ,i have to say it was so bad with Julian doing his patter about the street he should quit while he's ahead .The whole IVC format there is pretty bad ,although it is nice and local which has to be commended in these sad days at ITV.
MA
marksi
Quote:
It would be like if BBCi sponsored something on BBC ONE (yes I know the BBC cannot accept sponsorship, its a hypothetical example).

No, it's more like a competition on BBC ONE NI being "sponsored" by BBC Radio Scotland.
BR
Barney Rubble
Lewis c posted:
I must admit i caught the UTV link into corrie last night ,i have to say it was so bad with Julian doing his patter about the street he should quit while he's ahead .The whole IVC format there is pretty bad ,although it is nice and local which has to be commended in these sad days at ITV.

I dont think it is sad at all Lewis......
.....in these days of non descript bland continunity we see fro SMG and ITV1 I think it is great that a local television company that does very well in its region still has the bottle and spend the money to show IVC. After all as I have said before its called tele-VISION!!!
:-(
A former member
... and indeed I've noticed some evidence of UTV fleshing out their IVC -- they seem in no hurry to kill it off. Julian had a very fancy moving background tonight, and Gillian Porter was on the other day with a programme rundown to her left and music in the background.

I think it's great that a station in 2003 still is prepared to take chances and play around with formats, rather than stick to exceedingly dull and tired methods as the rest of ITV have.
LC
Lewis c
Barney Rubble posted:
Lewis c posted:

I dont think it is sad at all Lewis......
.....in these days of non descript bland continunity we see fro SMG and ITV1 I think it is great that a local television company that does very well in its region still has the bottle and spend the money to show IVC. After all as I have said before its called tele-VISION!!!

It's not the IVC i'm in disagreement with i like most people would prefer IVC ,it's Julian and that style of his it's so old hat perhaps some room for new talent there or even more from Gillian or Audra .
CO
Colm
Lewis C:
"It's not the IVC i'm in disagreement with i like most people would prefer IVC ,it's Julian and that style of his it's so old hat perhaps some room for new talent there or even more from Gillian or Audra."

I am pleased that UTV seem to be back pushing IVC during the evening, although any links I've seen have been presented by Gillian Porter.

Anyone notice that the music featured in the background of some links is the same song used in the ITV2 trailers (Saffron & Ben Onono "My Love Is Always")?

As for new talent, all I can say to that is...

COUGH COUGH

Dear dear, what a nasty cold I see to be picking up Wink

Newer posts