TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member

An interesting tweet - seemingly BBC Reith is making it to the regions (going by the responses).

My guess is that getting it into some regional Astons might be tricky, particularly the older ones which may only have 3.5" floppies and 44/88MB Syquests.
DB
dbl

An interesting tweet - seemingly BBC Reith is making it to the regions (going by the responses).

Wow, he wasn't joking about ancient! Surprised
DE
deejay
Rumbled. Fivers all round then? Very Happy

Despite it being nearly 30 years old it does have an Ethernet port on it and files can be copied straight into it via a bit of desktop software (that amazingly still works) called Aston Gateway. It can also accept images on floppy disc and Magneto-Optical discs (that look like a big MiniDisc) but I haven't used either of those for a very long time.
Crawley_Court, bilky asko and Spencer gave kudos
EL
elmarko
Christ. What’s the specs? CPU/RAM etc?
NG
noggin Founding member
Christ. What’s the specs? CPU/RAM etc?

They're kind of irrelevant I suspect - as the video rendering is more custom hardware than software. Astons weren't PC-based solutions like Caspar, Viz etc. are.

The original Motifs had 44MB removable hard drives for archive storage to backup entire shows...
RO
Rofters
BK
bkman1990
Has the BBC Studios logo with the new Reith typeface appeared on EastEnders for a while? I only saw it there on it's end credits on RTÉ One HD tonight.
AJ
AJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dodbqgKn8js

I watched that yesterday (not having seen it here) and it didn't even occur to me that Reith was being used. Just looks like a bog standard subtitling font to be honest.
EA
Earlie37
It's good to see that the local regions have finally been updated with the new templates for BBC Sport recently. I'm assuming the massive delay in deploying them was possibly down to getting the Reith font on to the various systems as discussed a few posts back.

Don't know if it is a problem in other regions but the new split screen has a problem with the text where it's actually transparent on the South Today template. It's a bit hard to see on this photo but you can see how Tony's tie shows through the word 'STUDIO'.

RD
RDJ
It's good to see that the local regions have finally been updated with the new templates for BBC Sport recently. I'm assuming the massive delay in deploying them was possibly down to getting the Reith font on to the various systems as discussed a few posts back.

Not all regions. Birmingham are certainly still using the old Sport graphics and old Sport logo. Not a hint of Reith anywhere yet on Midlands Today.
SP
Spencer
Look North (Yorks) still using their own dodgy style of graphics for sport...

DE
deejay

Don't know if it is a problem in other regions but the new split screen has a problem with the text where it's actually transparent on the South Today template. It's a bit hard to see on this photo but you can see how Tony's tie shows through the word 'STUDIO'.

Hmm! That’s a discrepancy between black and see-through, which look the same on the output of the Aston but are different when you look at the corresponding key signal. I’m sure the head scratchers are on the case in Southampton on that one.

Newer posts