TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
The BBC would NOT be permitted under the terms of it's Charter to accept sponsorship in any form which puts the UK at a hosting disadvantage.

Is this really correct? I find it hard to believe that BBC Studios couldn't benefit from any off-screen sponsorship now that it's a commercial entity.
JM
JamesM0984
I'm not convinced DVB Cornwall is correct either on this one - like Whataday says BBC Studios is a commercial entity. Indeed, the BBC can pick whoever they want as a production partner - they could legitimately outsource it to ITV Studios. Dusseldorf and Baku were both produced by the German (?) company Brainpool for example.

I don't think it'd go to Germany in this instance, however - taking over an Israeli show won't look good from a PR POV, even in this day and age.

SVT would be the obvious choice - they have the reputation as well as the skills and knowledge to just get on with it; the EBU isn't going to need to babysit them. The BBC could also fall into that category.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Any production BBC Studios make for transmission on any of the BBC domestic services would, as would any other programme produced for them by any source, be subject to these rules. BBC Studios productions for other broadcasters would be subject to the rules applicable to those broadcasters.
JM
JamesM0984
That virtually makes a British hosted contest impossible though?
BM
BM11
https://escbubble.com/2018/08/the-government-has-no-intention-of-assisting-ipbc-in-funding-eurovision/
SVT hostings of Eurovison has annoyed some other broadcasters apparently.
It could become a big big mess - the BBC would be under pressure to withdraw if situation develops into accusations that the EBU are anti Israel and that's why they would negotiate the deposit.
Russia would be a country that would likely offer to host and cost wouldn't be a problem there if Putin wanted it.
TI
tightrope78
BM11 posted:
https://escbubble.com/2018/08/the-government-has-no-intention-of-assisting-ipbc-in-funding-eurovision/
It could become a big big mess - the BBC would be under pressure to withdraw if situation develops into accusations that the EBU are anti Israel and that's why they would negotiate the deposit.
Russia would be a country that would likely offer to host and cost wouldn't be a problem there if Putin wanted it.

There you go again predicting doom and gloom based on nothing more than gossip and speculation. You seem to thrive on hoping for the worst to happen. Are you the Daily Mail in disguise?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Any production BBC Studios make for transmission on any of the BBC domestic services would, as would any other programme produced for them by any source, be subject to these rules. BBC Studios productions for other broadcasters would be subject to the rules applicable to those broadcasters.

It's unclear what you're saying. There is no doubt that the BBC would be prohibited from broadcasting sponsorship on its domestic services, but are you saying that BBC Studios wouldn't be able to handle sponsorship to appear on other EBU members, or off air in the UK?

I don't think there are any rules against BBC Studios supplying the contest to other stations with sponsors on screen while running the contest sans-sponsors in the UK.
JamesM0984 and dosxuk gave kudos
DO
dosxuk
I'm sure I've seen sponsored elements to BBC events in the past like Big Weekend. Then there's things like Comic Relief which definately has large sponsorships associated, yet is solely produced for the BBC.

I'm with the others here, I don't think the sponsorship restrictions would apply to an event organised by BBC Studios (or any other BBC commercial entity), even if the event is being show on BBC Television.
JM
JamesM0984
BM11 posted:

* SVT haven't annoyed anyone. They've hosted twice this decade and hosted exceptionally well on both occasions.
* This has nothing to do with being pro- or anti- Israel. If they can't stump up, they can't host. It's got sod-all to do with the political situation.
* The EBU aren't stupid. Russia won't take it on because that opens a whole new can of worms for Ukraine.

With the greatest respect, what you've written is utter tosh. When do the school holidays end?
DE88, tightrope78 and Brekkie gave kudos
BM
BM11
Forgot it. I cant be bothered proving that I am correct anymore.
JM
JamesM0984
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

* SVT haven't annoyed anyone. They've hosted twice this decade and hosted exceptionally well on both occasions.
* This has nothing to do with being pro- or anti- Israel. If they can't stump up, they can't host. It's got sod-all to do with the political situation.
* The EBU aren't stupid. Russia won't take it on because that opens a whole new can of worms for Ukraine.

With the greatest respect, what you've written is utter tosh. When do the school holidays end?

It has been rumourd that Portugal 2013 and 2016 withdrawals were not only financial problems at RTP but partly due to a dislike of SVT and their influence - some of the changes they made such as the decided draw have irked broadcasters who don't trust that it is fair.

They hired in Christer Bjorkman as contest producer for Lisbon and partnered with the same production company that SVT used in Stockholm and Malmo, so that also is, again with the utmost respect, cobblers.
TI
TIGHazard

It's unclear what you're saying. There is no doubt that the BBC would be prohibited from broadcasting sponsorship on its domestic services, but are you saying that BBC Studios wouldn't be able to handle sponsorship to appear on other EBU members, or off air in the UK?

I don't think there are any rules against BBC Studios supplying the contest to other stations with sponsors on screen while running the contest sans-sponsors in the UK.

Check out the credits to the 98 contest. "With thanks to Rover Group", etc

No sponsor logos but they were thanked.

Newer posts