TV Home Forum

UKTV channels set to leave Virgin Media on Sunday

11th August - they’re back (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Si-Co posted:
According to Drama’s Facebook page, they are currently in talks with Virgin about repeating some of the programmes that were missed.

I was hoping to keep all of the early EastEnders on my TiVo (well, as many as are shown and it can store!). So I’d be pleased if the first ten episodes do get shown again!

They could just make them available on UKTV play (if they're not already there).

All of the episodes of EastEnders shown so far are available on catch-up on Sky.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, they're on there.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/classic-eastenders/watch-online/
ST
Stuart
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, they're on there.

I watched the first couple of episodes, then I remembered why I stopped watching 20 years ago.

In London in the 1980s it seems nobody had washing machines or kettles in their homes. Shocked
DJ
DJ Dave
Nobody still owns a washing machine do they in Albert Square???
JA
james-2001
They did close down the laundrette for a couple of years, supposedly to turn it into a dry cleaners... which then never happened, and when it reopened they hadn't even touched the interior of the laundrette in the meantime.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
How common were laundrettes in the 1980s? There's still many around today albeit machines are so cheap and economical to run in the home that you'd have thought the concept of a laundrette today is an anachronism in a row of shops. But then you could make the same argument for other services like libraries, supermarkets and newsagents, these survive primarily because a library is a legal requirement, we all have to eat and newsagents diversified to sell more than newspapers and magazines.
LL
London Lite Founding member
How common were laundrettes in the 1980s? There's still many around today albeit machines are so cheap and economical to run in the home that you'd have thought the concept of a laundrette today is an anachronism in a row of shops. But then you could make the same argument for other services like libraries, supermarkets and newsagents, these survive primarily because a library is a legal requirement, we all have to eat and newsagents diversified to sell more than newspapers and magazines.

I still use a launderette. They still raise revenue by service washes and large duvet washes, which you can't wash in a standard washing machine. However in my area we've gone down from three to one in the last few years.
JA
james-2001
One actually opened here a couple of years back at a local petrol station. Well, it's sort of a laundrette, entirely unmanned, and outdoors, two big machines (one 8kg, one 18kg) and a big dryer (also 18kg). We did actually make use of it recently when our washer broke down and we had to wait the best part of a week to get it fixed.
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
One actually opened here a couple of years back at a local petrol station. Well, it's sort of a laundrette, entirely unmanned, and outdoors, two big machines (one 8kg, one 18kg) and a big dryer (also 18kg). We did actually make use of it recently when our washer broke down and we had to wait the best part of a week to get it fixed.

Yes, broken down washing machines are another reason why they stay open. Last time I went, there was a hefty wash from a family with that issue.

I live in a affluent part of London and among the regular older clientele, there are middle-class families, students etc who use either the self-service or service option.
KE
kernow

Sadly, libraries are not legal requirements. Many have closed down recently, and many more are facing closure, primarily due to local council budget cuts.
BA
bilky asko
We've gone from one launderette (or washateria as some older locals call it) to three, though one is purely a commercial launderette.

All this launderette talk has made me look up the ancient one I used in Hull on occasion (complete with 40 year old gas dryers and spin dryers), only to find that they've rebranded!
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
SJ
sjhoward

Sadly, libraries are not legal requirements. Many have closed down recently, and many more are facing closure, primarily due to local council budget cuts.

I'm aware that we're veering off topic here, but Local Authorities still have a statutory duty under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964 ‘to provide a comprehensive and efficient library service for all persons’ in the area that want to make use of it.

Library closures due to budget cuts might well alter the way in which that service is delivered - but library services are still legally required... thank goodness.

Newer posts