TV Home Forum

UKTV channels set to leave Virgin Media on Sunday

11th August - they’re back (July 2018)

LL
London Lite Founding member London London

Whenever anyone says broadband is rubbish I have to instantly ask if they are basing this on WiFi quality or the actual exchange connectivity and speeds further upstream.situations.

It can also be based on the quality of the router itself. Our broadband is fine, but the router they provided couldn't route the LAN for toffee. A device would get the full bandwidth one minute and nothing the next. Swapped it for a different modem/router and it worked as it should

A friend improved his VM broadband by replacing the Virgin supplied brick with a £20 TP-Link cable router.
IN
Interceptor

Whenever anyone says broadband is rubbish I have to instantly ask if they are basing this on WiFi quality or the actual exchange connectivity and speeds further upstream.situations.

It can also be based on the quality of the router itself. Our broadband is fine, but the router they provided couldn't route the LAN for toffee. A device would get the full bandwidth one minute and nothing the next. Swapped it for a different modem/router and it worked as it should

A friend improved his VM broadband by replacing the Virgin supplied brick with a £20 TP-Link cable router.

The "Superhub 3" is absolutely rubbish. God knows what it's doing other than generally being huge and getting hot.

The "Superhub 2" was alright. "Superhub" before that was rubbish. Before that the Samsung(?) modem, paired with a D-Link router was a really decent setup - this is what they gave out with 50Mbps packages at the time when such a speed was genuinely groundbreaking.
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
DE88 posted:
If Virgin Media and UKTV both failed, it would be very, *very* good news for Sky... and not-so-good news for the Competition and Markets Authority.

I don't think either are going to fail, as they both have very deep pockets. However, Discovery/BBC Studios' are possibly deeper.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
The Superhub 3 is a rebranded Arris TG2492 with butchered firmware to boot and various performance issues. The stock Arris firmware had major issues with performance as well caused by an overloaded processor but this was 2016 and later patched so hopefully Virgin pushed the update out as well.

The Superhub 2 and the first Superhub were both rebranded Netgears with massive security holes in their firmware, presumably they were all patched.
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
You get the feeling by this time now how little UKTV and Virgin Media care about this situation. This could be resolved fast, look at how quick ITV and Virgin came to a new carriage deal. Why can't UKTV do the same?

It is now mid August and no progress, must be awful for Virgin Media customers who do not have access to Freesat, Sky etc?
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight
You get the feeling by this time now how little UKTV and Virgin Media care about this situation. This could be resolved fast, look at how quick ITV and Virgin came to a new carriage deal. Why can't UKTV do the same?

It is now mid August and no progress, must be awful for Virgin Media customers who do not have access to Freesat, Sky etc?

I care little about this, because I barely watch anything UKTV, so I'm not missing anything UKTV wise right now. If anything, I'm happy with getting to watch Premier Sports as part of my package, rather than paying extra for it, which I didn't do, so I have an extra channel to enjoy.

I hope for a resolution to this, but right now, I'm happy with what I've got.
DB
dbl London London
You get the feeling by this time now how little UKTV and Virgin Media care about this situation.

Wrong.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
You get the feeling by this time now how little UKTV and Virgin Media care about this situation. This could be resolved fast, look at how quick ITV and Virgin came to a new carriage deal.

ITV had been in negotiations since last year.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
JA
japitts West Country (East) Points West
I can't help but think that UKTV probably need Virgin more than VM need UKTV. Sure neither company comes out of this smelling of roses, and the Virgin TV platform is undoubtedly weaker for not having UKTV on it - and it's Virgin customers who are missing out ontop of the financial costs to both sides.

Reputationally Virgin are probably taking a knock and I probably wouldn't recommend them at the moment (despite being otherwise perfectly happy with them) - but financially, it's almost certainly UKTV getting a solid hit. I'm not sure whether Virgin's agreement with Sky (Sky may choose to take advantage), or Sky's agreement with UKTV (Sky would probably try to take advantage) that's next up for renewal. Thinking through some of the long-term permutations is quite fascinating.

dbl posted:
You get the feeling by this time now how little UKTV and Virgin Media care about this situation.

Wrong.

Well it's the first time in this dispute when both sides have been quiet together. I've really not been impressed by UKTV's stirring attitude on Twitter, and what I first took as quiet ignorance from Virgin - I'm now reading as public "keep quiet and do this behind closed doors". We can but hope that this is being worked out in private.
MC
MikeC18 Wales Wales Today
They’re back.
CO
Colorband (previously AgainWTheNorth) UTV World News
Official confirmation...

Graphic designer. Electronic idiot.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

Newer posts